help me launch my car...60' times blow

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
Okay, I am kinda new to drag racing my car at the strip. I am running 22# of boost through a Jimmy's level 2 trans, 3200 lock-up Vigilante, and Auburn Pro posi with Mosers. Right now I am power braking to about 2900, building about 2 PSI on 17" BFG Traction T/As. The car's best 60' with this method is 2.14 and the car ran 8.87@95 in the 1/8 mile.

Now the car has 26x9x15 ET Drags, how should I launch the car this way?

build up as much boost as the brakes will hold or if the tires are the weak link as much as the tires will hold. I would say 7-8 lbs should do the trick for a nice 1.6 60 ft. But all cars seem to be different. You just got to play with it and find the sweet spot for your setup. pay attention to boost not rpm when trying to get a consistant good 60ft. And i know ive asked this before but how did you trap 95 in the 1/8 with stock heads and cam on a 44? You sure it wasn't a mis-read? (no knocking your car) Ive ran 95.8 on my best 1/8th run but ive just never seen a stock motor with a 44 go that fast. good luck and get some good times :cool:

I build 8-10 lbs at the line under the brakes according to track conditions. On 26X11.5X15 ET Streets and an open rear(non-posi) I 60' 1.81-1.88. I'm putting in the posi unit and replacing my slipping trans this weekend, then shooting for 1.6X or so.

yeah, I don't know how it traps at that speed either. It shocked the hell out of the announcer in the tower at the strip too. My buddy's WRX runs the same ET, but about 18 mph slower.

Launch with the E brake. While building boost, let the e brake go as soon as you get around 10psi or so. Put a rope on the handle of the E brake so you dont have to bend over as much. Works in every GN I have seen. It will cause more wear in tear, but your drag racing the car anyway.

HTH
Bo

Depending on the track I launch with between 8# and 14# of boost. Just push on the brake pedal until yopu look like this :mad:
I was leaving at 14# yesterday and hooking with a best 60' of 1.64 for the day on Hoosier QTPs. (My car was running slow yesterday)

If I read right you are using BF Traction T/A's NOT a Drag Radial. If this is true than your 60ft is not that that bad at all. I would probably launch at a little more boost and then just release the brake and ride the car out of the whole then get into it gradually. I had a little 235 drag radial and managed a 1.7 this way and I will tell you the tires were not much better than my regular street tires. Good luck though.

60 ft times

what i done to my car i was using 28X10.50 hoosier QTP with 13 psi of air, my right air bag had 16 psi and the left had 5 psi. i left with 8 psi and netted a 1.64 60ft on the next pass i done a little bit better burnout and and netted a 1.61 60ft thats not too bad for my first time out on slicks and not having a clue what to expect. when you put the slicks on it don't go for kill on your first couple of passes so you can get ready for what coming 1.50's is one hell of a rush

the only tips i can give ya is to play with the tire pressure and air bag pressure.

the best my car ever 60 ft on true radials was a 1.84 with 245/60 15's with about 5 psi of air in the pass side air bag

I don't understand it!!!!

right bag:20 psi
left bag: 5 psi
26x8.5x15 ET Drags 10 psi
about a good 5-7 sec. burnout

launching at 2900 RPM and 2-3# and we still got 2.19, 2.21 and 2.09 60'

what is the damn deal?!?!?! :mad:

60 ft times

have you tried putting any timing in the car down low, what are your o2's @ 2900 rpm is the car straining against the brakes @ 2900 rpm? if your not spinning the tires on that slow of a 60ft i'm gonna think maybe your convertor is not loose enuff?

didn't check the O2's as I was watching RPM and the tree, but I know it is not the highest I could be launching. With the street tires it takes about 3300 to powerbrake spin, but with the slicks it was around 4100...I think I'm just going to bury both pedals and go for it next time :eek:

Tom Tom Turbo said:
I don't understand it!!!!

right bag:20 psi
left bag: 5 psi
26x8.5x15 ET Drags 10 psi
about a good 5-7 sec. burnout

launching at 2900 RPM and 2-3# and we still got 2.19, 2.21 and 2.09 60'

what is the damn deal?!?!?! :mad:

You've got to launch it much harder. Stand on the brakes and stand on the gas let the boost gauge get up to 13-15 psi and let it rip. Do that and I promise when you pick up your time slip you'll be looking like this :D

I know some frown on doing this BUT

set your e brake and then stand on the brakes till your face is like this :mad: spool up to like 10 pounds and let the thing rip by releasing the ebrake and the brakes at the same time and the car should fly

FWIW Ive done a 1 49 like this on a mid 11 second car :biggrin:

it can and most likely will bend your backing plates on the rear brakes so its a good idea to check them every now and then. But the we4 has over 200 runs on it with them all being 10+ psi launchs off of the ebrake my best ever was with 19 pounds :eek: ;)