Help! Keep Blowing Fuse

89drivin87

Goin' Fast With Class
I have the GNX cluster in my car with autometer ultra lites and they have never given me a problem till now.All of a sudden the gauge lights wont come on.Check the fuse and its popped, so i replace it and instantly it pops again.I know this means that there are wires touching and I have traced as much as I can before I blackout from being upside down.I know that the kit that I have connects the gauges through the factory clip on the steering cloumb but which one is for the gauges.There are roughly 20 wires there so which do I check.Ive heard its the white one but the guy who told me that cant fix his own car soo...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS IN ADVANCED.

You'll probably need to pull the gauge cluster out to look at all the connections on the back of the gauges. So much wiring and connectors, it's not that hard for something to shift just enough to have one connection touch another one.

Gauge light wiring is usually gray.

Check the wire in the shifter console area to see if it's shorting out on the metal there and ripped out of the retainer.

That's usually the problem.

Another test would be to remove any ADDED dash gauge lamp wiring from the factory stuff with your dash kit and aftermarket gauges and then try a new fuse, if it still blows it's in the factory wiring and most likely the console lamp, if it holds it would be in your aftermarket wiring.

White is usually the color from the aftermarket gauge wiring and gray would be the factory gauge lamp color.

thanks for the help guys.gonna do some more trouble shooting tomorrow morning.thanks again

Mine was doing the exact same thing, it drove me nuts for a month it ended up being the light dimmer switch. maby this will fix yours to.

Lighted Sunvisor

Yrs Ago On My First Gn,the Lighted Sunvisor(rt Side) Wire Shorted,blew The Fuse, Not Sure If This Is The Same Circuit.