Help I.D. some old school parts

quikv6

Hey guys...just picked up an 87 T Limited, that has sat for a number of years. I'm in the process of bringing her back to everyday driver status. I added a scanmaster, and have been "spring cleaning", but she's got a few old school parts on her that I am somewhat unfamiliar with. Thanks in advance with any help ID-ing, and please feel free to chime in with any opinions or experience with anything you may notice. Here's what I am unsure of:

1) Headers/downpipe:
To me, I think the headers are Kenne-Bell or possible ATR. I have never seen the downpipe before. It's a 2 piece: 2.5 inch at the turbo, and then it slips into a 3 inch next to the PS header. I have an ATR 3 inch external gate DP waiting to go in, which has the long sweep to clear ATR headers. (see #2)

2) External wastegate:
I am completely unfamiliar with them, and it's clear to me that this downpipe was not originally set up for one. I want to put the ATR pipe in, but it will relocate the wastegate, and I would also have to cut and close up the pipe that was added on the PS header. Does this sound right?

3) Factory wastegate solenoid is missing. I'd imagine that this is why I get an intermittent code 31.

4) Garrett Turbo:
Compressor side stamped - A/R 55 M12 P
Exhaust side stamped - A/R 63 M3
Anyone have an idea what it is? (I didn't measure any wheels yet)

5) Torque converter: Black, stamped "Apex 10-27". I think its a 10 inch, but not sure who's it is.

6) Fuel pump: it has a Mallory 110 FI external fuel pump. Doesn't seem like a typical GN choice of pump. (Injectors are 009's, chip is old school Red's 93).

Ultimately I want to get a proper TT chip for it, but don't want to order one until I know exactly what's in this thing. Any and all help/insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 276
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 234
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 232
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 233
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 230
Yeah, headers look like old school Kenne Bell's. DP looks homemade. Flange to the turbo looks homemade, and the welds don't look like anything I've seen on a production piece.

Waste gate looks like an early turbonetics deltagate and it should bolt up to the atr down pipe you plan to install. And then just plug the header as mentioned. Bailey can program the chip without the waste gate solenoid code. Turbotweak probably can as well.

The "27" part of the converter means 27 spline input shaft which was used on all 200-4R and also fits early 700-r4.

Here's my atr pipe and deltagate

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

the wastegate is a turbonetics racegate it has a red billet bottom. it is a much better unit than the regular deltagate

Wow...good info guys. Thanks. Looks like I will stick to my plan on keeping the wastegate, and bolting it up to the ATR downpipe. Anyone have any idea on this turbo?

Also, how about this Mallory pump? It seems to have decent flow numbers (110 gal/hr), but it also seems like an odd choice for a turbo buick.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

just a quick bump to see if anyone can figure out the turbo, or has insight into the Mallory pump? Thanks guys.

Frequently the turbo size was scratched on the turbo compressor outlet, on the ground side (of course), and where the hose to the intercooler will cover it up. If you can pull the hose off the turbo, use a mirror and check all around the outlet.

Thanks for the tip...i havent pulled the IC hose yet, but will do that tomorrow. Let's hope it's stamped. Thanks again.

Here's a quick pic I took of the torque converter, while dropping pan. Sorry, it's not the best picture. Only wording I see is Apex 10-27. Does it ring a bell to anyone?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 125
That is a Turbonetics downpipe as well. They were one of the few that had the slip joint half way down the pipe

They were a steel pipe no stainless.

Thanks Reggie...I had no idea Turbonetics even made downpipes for our cars. Good stuff...Thanks again.