Help going from stock MAF to LS1?

RTCarlin

My stock MAF Sensor finally crapped out on me. Might as well upgrade at this point. A few questions:

---What all do I need to get? (Sensor, translator, ???)

---What are the benefits of upgrading? (Performance, data, etc)

---Who sells it? (I think I remember seeing the stuff at Full Throttle)

And anything else I need to know before starting this little project....

Thanks in advance!

---Ron Carlin Jr.

Full Throttle's the game.

Translator and a 3" or 3.5" maf sensor.

Plug and play. You may need to get an adapter for the maf pipe to maf, then maf to air filter.

Well worth it.

Whoops....benefits.

Smoother idle, more air flow....and cheaper to replace sensors!

Good info in the above posts! You will not be disappointed. If you need another maf in the mean time,I have a few spares. Just like the hose.:p

Good info in the above posts! You will not be disappointed. If you need another maf in the mean time,I have a few spares. Just like the hose.:p

I got a hose for ya :p . Seriously! Got one sittiing on the desk.

Tracy was over today fiddling with my car... hehe.. thats a funny story. Gotta love Virginia weather. If we both have pneumonia tomorrow, it's my fault.

We think it's my MAF... When I give it some gas and tap on the MAF Sensor, it starts to stumble and miss. Does the same thing when I'm out crusing. Intermittantly, but frequently. We were going to put one of Tracy's spares in, but when we pulled my filter, we saw that I had blown the screen out of my MAF into my filter!!! Figured that was the problem, but its still studdering..... We're going to try another stock MAF tomorrow and see if that is in fact the problem. I hope so. I don't need any more surprises this week... :mad:

---Ron

Steve V. - you stated that you have a few spare MAF's. I need one for my '87 GN, as mine is giving me the same problem as mentioned above. Are they in known good running condition and how much are you wanting for one?

Please let me know.

Thank you,

9daysbefore

So from what I'm getting... I'll need the LS1 sensor, MAF Translator, and Adapter(s)... Which adapter(s) will I need?

The LS1 Sensor is 3.5", correct? So I'd need a new cone filter. Can I just use a 3.5" to 3" reducer to retain my old inlet pipe?

I'm trying to get a handle on this so I can present it to the wife and beg for money on Valentines day... :tongue:

---Ron Carlin Jr.

you can, but try to avoid any bottlenecking if possible. Of course if the MAF itself is bigger t\than the inlet to the compressor....you really have no choice.

The translator plugs into the stock MAF wiring, then there's a pigtail off the translator that goes to the new sensor.

You can use the translator to change fueling at different points in the curve.

Look on FT's sight and download the manual just to familiarize yourself.

you can, but try to avoid any bottlenecking if possible. Of course if the MAF itself is bigger t\than the inlet to the compressor....you really have no choice.

That's what I was thinking. You're going to be limited to a 3" flow unless you change your turbo inlet size. And there's no way I'm going to talk the wife into a new turbo at this point... :eek:

Thanks for the linkage. Looks pretty straight forward to install...

Just got to looking on FTS and saw this FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Item Description Page

4" MAF Pipe with sensor? So if I just got that all I'd need is a filter and a translator?

---Ron

That's what I was thinking. You're going to be limited to a 3" flow unless you change your turbo inlet size. And there's no way I'm going to talk the wife into a new turbo at this point... :eek:

Thanks for the linkage. Looks pretty straight forward to install...

Just got to looking on FTS and saw this FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Item Description Page

4" MAF Pipe with sensor? So if I just got that all I'd need is a filter and a translator?

---Ron

And an adapter plug for the original MAF plug to mate with the new style MAF.

FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Item Description Page

Just curious is this due to the removal of the MAF screen?

No, both the LT1 3" and LS1 3.5" flow better than the stock maf. And it's never a good idea to remove the screens from them. Makes for a nice laminar flow, etc.

I'm doing the same thing to my car, but I was looking at getting the 3" LT1 maf instead so I can use all of my existing clamps and filter. Is there any downside to the 3" or any other reason why I should get the 3.5 LS1 maf?