Help! 2-3 shift problem

Beast_TR

Hey all my tranny has been acting funny as of late and I am not sure what the problem is. I was driving it the other day and decided to have a little fun so I take off normal and let it do the 1-2 shift then roll into it to WOT, reach the top of second and it stays there won't shift to 3rd, hmm weird I say so I let off and it starts engine braking like it is stuck in second. I then give it about half throttle and it takes off normal no slipping but again reaches the top of second and won't shift. So I let off again then lightly get back on the throttle and it kinda "hung up" for a second then slowly shifted into third. Then I gave it enough to force a downshift and the same kinda thing happened it hung up and slowly downshifted to second, then stayed in till I got it up high enough then let off lightly back on and it shifted to third. Now keep in mind this was all done while in D. So then I tried it in OD and instead of not shifting into third I would get the RPM's high enough it seemed like it would just bypass third and go straight to 4th.

Sorry for the book but I am stumped as to what is going on here. Is something up with the shift valves? Anything I can do to fix it or is it time to pull the transmission and have it gone through. There are no other problems it shifts from 1-2 just fine and there is no slipping, when I get on it it will roast the tires not even trying but it just does not want to shift.

Hey all my tranny has been acting funny as of late and I am not sure what the problem is. I was driving it the other day and decided to have a little fun so I take off normal and let it do the 1-2 shift then roll into it to WOT, reach the top of second and it stays there won't shift to 3rd, hmm weird I say so I let off and it starts engine braking like it is stuck in second. I then give it about half throttle and it takes off normal no slipping but again reaches the top of second and won't shift. So I let off again then lightly get back on the throttle and it kinda "hung up" for a second then slowly shifted into third. Then I gave it enough to force a downshift and the same kinda thing happened it hung up and slowly downshifted to second, then stayed in till I got it up high enough then let off lightly back on and it shifted to third. Now keep in mind this was all done while in D. So then I tried it in OD and instead of not shifting into third I would get the RPM's high enough it seemed like it would just bypass third and go straight to 4th.

Sorry for the book but I am stumped as to what is going on here. Is something up with the shift valves? Anything I can do to fix it or is it time to pull the transmission and have it gone through. There are no other problems it shifts from 1-2 just fine and there is no slipping, when I get on it it will roast the tires not even trying but it just does not want to shift.

sounds like kicked gov spring if it will shift at light throttle

Any suggestions on a replacement? I have done a search and it sounds like it is what is causing my problem (also had a slight up shift problem at WOT before this happened). Is there a replacement that won't kick the spring since it seems that it is a common problem.

Any suggestions on a replacement? I have done a search and it sounds like it is what is causing my problem (also had a slight up shift problem at WOT before this happened). Is there a replacement that won't kick the spring since it seems that it is a common problem.

You can pin the spring with a set screw stops the problem 99% of the time.

I do have a quick question about the governor and my problem. Why is it that my 1-2 shift seems fine but my 2-3 is the one causing the problem. I have not tried a WOT 1-2 but even at half or part throttle (enough to get the tires squeeling) it still shifts ok. I still have not gotten a chance to take the pan off and take a look at the governor yet but plan to tonight after work. If the spring is gone will I need a new governor or is there another spring I can use and maybe get at a local parts store? Also how do I go about using a set screw to hold it in place, will I need to drill and tap a hole for that? Sorry for all the questions I just want to know what I can do before spending $150+ on a new governor.

Also how is the governor causing my problem, not doubting what you say since you are obviously very knowledgable with these cars and transmissions I am just trying to understand the mechanics of it all and how it works.

Well ****! I took the pan off and took the governor out and of course the spring was nestled in it's rightful place. The bottom of the pan had a good deal of greyish blackish crud on it and the magnet had a good deal of stuff on it too. I am guessing all that was part of what used to be my clutches and I am due for a rebuild? Not good since I can't really afford one at the moment so it looks like the car will be sitting for a while. Anyone got any ideas I can try or and I pretty much SOL?

How many miles are on the trans?
You could drop the valve body & try cleaning it,1-valve at a time + Boost valves in bottom of pump body, fluid/filter change.
May help but, there will still be dirty fluid in converter, cooler circuit & other parts of trans.
Todd

Well changed the filter and top it off and took it for a ride, 1-2 still shifter like nothing is wrong, but 2-3 still needs some coaxing to get shifted. It will shift now and does not so much slip into gear like it did before but it still does not like shifting into 3rd. It also wants to get some speed before it will shift too, at 35 it refuses to shift but at 40-45 it will eventually shift after playing with the throttle. Once in third though any kinda attempt to put power through it will cause some pretty bad slipping. I could get maybe 1/4 throttle and probably 3-5 psi going before it would start slipping. But it acts normal in 1st and 4th, just doesn't like shifting out of second until it gets enough speed.

I guess I can't complain the car has 131k on it and I don't know much of the history of the car before 124k when I bought it. Just need to save up for a tranny in the mean time I can look at my wonderful paper weight.

Well changed the filter and top it off and took it for a ride, 1-2 still shifter like nothing is wrong, but 2-3 still needs some coaxing to get shifted. It will shift now and does not so much slip into gear like it did before but it still does not like shifting into 3rd. It also wants to get some speed before it will shift too, at 35 it refuses to shift but at 40-45 it will eventually shift after playing with the throttle. Once in third though any kinda attempt to put power through it will cause some pretty bad slipping. I could get maybe 1/4 throttle and probably 3-5 psi going before it would start slipping. But it acts normal in 1st and 4th, just doesn't like shifting out of second until it gets enough speed.

I guess I can't complain the car has 131k on it and I don't know much of the history of the car before 124k when I bought it. Just need to save up for a tranny in the mean time I can look at my wonderful paper weight.
Now that sounds like 3rd is gone:(

I have a built 200r4 that im going to be selling pretty soon to replace with a th350, because ill be stepping in to the low 10's or better. Let me know :biggrin: