Heads with big ports or small

postal

Peoples champ runner up
If you where building a 261" stage motor with a self imposed shift point of around 7200 to 7500, would you go with a set of stage heads with the big runners or would you go with a set of smaller runner heads? I have an oportunity to pick up a top notch set of "Velocity Ported" stage 2 heads. The intake port openings in the heads I have now are 1.35" wide by 2.35" tall w/ 2.100/1.600 valves. These smaller heads are 1" wide by 1.900 tall with the same 2.100/1.600 combo. That works out to be a port opening only 60% as big as the bigger heads. With this motor only being 261", my relatively small cam, and the fact that I want to make most of my power close to 7000 rpm's I'm leaning seriously towards picking up these smaller heads.

What do you guys think?

Jason

postal said:
If you where building a 261" stage motor with a self imposed shift point of around 7200 to 7500, would you go with a set of stage heads with the big runners or would you go with a set of smaller runner heads? I have an oportunity to pick up a top notch set of "Velocity Ported" stage 2 heads. The intake port openings in the heads I have now are 1.35" wide by 2.35" tall w/ 2.100/1.600 valves. These smaller heads are 1" wide by 1.900 tall with the same 2.100/1.600 combo. That works out to be a port opening only 60% as big as the bigger heads. With this motor only being 261", my relatively small cam, and the fact that I want to make most of my power close to 7000 rpm's I'm leaning seriously towards picking up these smaller heads.

What do you guys think?

Jason

Jason,

I think it depends more on the power you want to make than the shift point.
I had a set of stage 2 heads with so much epoxy that Duttweiler told me they would flow similar to a M&A about 1100-1200HP Max. Since the Epoxy would have to have been ported out I just sold them. Not all people with big heads shift their motors sky high. I know of a couple Outlaw 10.5 motors that only shift around 7500RPM.