Headgaskets On Hotair

6SENSE

What are you guys torquing your steel shim gaskets to? Isnt there an issue with sealing with these stock gaskets, and how do you address it?
Also, anyone else out there running '87 gaskets on there '84-'85 tall deck block? I am currently having a issue with a bit of lifter/pushrod chatter, probably due to the thicker headgaskets, and am contemplating swapping them out for stock steel shim.

P.S. Lee or Big Daddy, if your out there, I would really be interested in your thoughts on this Hotair headgasket subject as far as using the .064 thicker '87 gaskets on a hotair, or stock. Lower compression ratio = more boost = more hp? What do you guys think/recommend?

I'am currently running fel-pro 1400's and they are 86/87 gaskets. I blew one already and they an't cheap. I went to the dealer and bought 6 steel shim gaskets so I have a good stock. I would just go with the steel shim use GE clear silicon around the water jackets. If your preload is that bad or your having trouble with adjustments you might want to go adjustable push rods as a last resort.

Burnout

gasket

I have NEVER liked the steel shim gasket.
Steel shim----.018 thick compressed
Felpro 1000--.040
86-87 gasket--.060
Why not use the Felpro.
Why do you think GM went away from the 85 gasket---- burning too many pistons. It is easier to replace the head gasket than a piston. Where do you want your fuse?

This is just my opinion.

I thought they whrere 1000 maybe its the manifold gaskets. Well I had the steel shim on there with no problem and never blew one
but I ended up getting my heads redone and went with the felpros and blew one running 15#. I'am not taking the heads off so I will keep the felpros in place and see how they hold up when I start spraying it.

Burnout

What are you guys torquing to?
As far as Im concerned the GM '87 gaskets, that are on my engine now, have been fine. No problems with leaks for over 12,000 miles so far. Only issue is since changing cam and lifters I have a little extra valvetrain noise, not a lot, just enough to cause false KR every now and then. If it wasnt for this, I would not even be worried about them.
Reds has already given me some good advice, but Im still stubborn and want to see what some others who are still running hotair cars ('84/'85 blocks) are doing. I had only torqued to 60ft/lbs and before doing anything else might just try re-torquing to a greater value, that is why Im asking what you guys torque to on an '84. Is there a different torque value that you use with the different gaskets? That is what I had thought 3 years ago (I know...dumb) and why I wound up torquing to only 60 with the '87 gaskets. Dont know if it will make any difference at all as far as compresing any, but thought it might be worth a try since chatter is so slight. (bolts are ARP). Thanks.

The extra valvetrain noise may be from using the thicker headgaskets on the taller deckheight(84/5) block...Did you check the lifter pre-load when you put it together??? Should be around .030, I believe...You may have close to .000, which would give you more noise...

:eek: I thought the 86-87 gasket was a lil thicker that that but I never measured myself just went by info I found on the net.

:)

Lee's da man ;)

we like our fuses in different places .. I dont like changing gaskets :eek:

Originally posted by FJM568
Did you check the lifter pre-load when you put it together??? Should be around .030, I believe...You may have close to .000, which would give you more noise...
What is method to checking preload?

Also Lee, Jim, what do you guys torque to??? (I already know Reds goes all out on the torque :p ). And do you guys think there is any chance of rectifying this problem by torquing down another 15-20lbs, or do I just stop fighting it and tear the motor down for some steel shims? I guess I just hate the thought of taking out some perfectly good head gaskets.... at least let me blow em' first :rolleyes:

P.S. I put this engine together about 3-4 years ago. It was my first stab at a TR engine, so I had no idea about alot of little differences.....like head gasket thickness!! I did ask before going with the '87s but unfortuneately was misinformed, or obviously not given all the pertinent info (would have been nice if I knew about any TR websites back then). Looks like Im always learning the hard way.

I torqued mine to 75ftlbs inh 4 step incraments. I would just keep the gaskets you have know you have to adjust your preload and that is eaiser then tearing down the whole engine.

Burnout

I've run both styles and I like the steel shims, they just don't blow. They do leak, it's very important the block and heads are flat or they will leak combustion and water. I've also cracked a cylinder from severe detonation without blowing the gaskets so like was said earlier, the choice should be where you want your fuse to be.

As for the loss of compression with the later gaskets, it wasn't enough for me to feel a difference nor could I run any extra boost for a given octane.

Longer pushrods available

To all, a little info. Melling offers what they say is a 35 thousands longer pushrod. Part number MPR 287. They also now offer a 60 thousands longer pushrod. I don't remember what that part number is though. I can find out if anyone is interested. These pushrods have always corrected any problem I have had with too short of a pushrod.

Guys, help me out here.

I use the Fel-Pro 8723PT gaskets.

Is that not the correct ones ? I saw um listed in the fel-pro catalogue for our turbo 3.8. I used them before I took the heads and intake off to port them and had no problems....

Will I have problems ? Now's the time to tell me. The heads are not back on yet !

Fel-Pro lists these gaskets for our car. "9" engine code. See this link :

http://www.federal-mogul.com/felpro/index.html

Nope...Those(8723) are wrong!!!

The shop that rebuilt my motor after I got my car and before I found gnttype and this site put those on my motor...

I burned through the fire ring between #1 and #3 after 30k miles...

You need either the stock 84/5 steel shim head gaskets(#25524599) or use Fel-Pro 9441 PT(which is the stock 86/7 style replacement gasket) or even the stock GM head gasket #25528486...