Headers

1984grandnat

In the market for a new set of headers. Stock ones are severely cracked, and I don't want to take the time to re-weld bad-flowing headers. Looking at either Kenne-Bell or Poston. Any suggestions? What has worked well for you guys? Any that I should stay away from? Would like to keep stock turbo location for now. Already have Hooker dual exhaust with no cat, but exhaust leaks under the hood are killing my perf. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

The KB headers are the best flowing out there. You will have the same problems like all aftermarket headers for the hotairs, sealing the uppipe to header. The only problem you will run into is since they are a dual stage design you must run the 2.5" DP that comes with them which fits great. I had to modify my LT 3" DP to go around them. I also got mine jethot coated since they only come in mild steet. They are very thick and have not cracked in the 5 years of abuse they've been on the car.

I run the stock headers just weld them up once a week and you will be ok.:D I was told the stock headers will go in the 10's low 11's is it true , i dont know. After market headers just cost so much money . And i dont think i would want to change any of the pipes around , i would like to just bolt them on like you.

Good luck

I'm with Cool, the Kenne Belle's are probably the best flowing, but they are mild steel. They are approximately $799. You'll need to get them ceramic coated. More durable and probably all you'll ever need are the stainless ATR's. For around $895, you get the headers, crossover, up-pipe, and 2.5" downpipe. Finally, there's the Poston mild steel with ceramic coat. These are the cheapest at around $498 for the pair, but I'm not sure if that includes crossover and up pipe. Also, I saw a driver's side Poston header at a Buick event, and the inside of the individual pipes near the mounting flange for the head looked restrictive and in need of some porting. It looked as if they do their welding on the inside of the pipes.

Originally posted by crazygn
I run the stock headers just weld them up once a week and you will be ok.:D I was told the stock headers will go in the 10's low 11's is it true , i dont know.
Good luck

this is true with 86-87,but i'd say not on an 84-85.the stock passenger side hotair manifold is a pos.

How fast can you go with stock 85 headers, maybe i'll be getting new ones to.:D

Second vote for the ATR headers. They are a great fit and I had no problems sealing the up-pipe with the Permatex Ultra Copper sealeant. It works perfect.

I bought um, well worth the investment if you plan on keeping your ride.

i also say atr headers, i just got a set and i love them. top quality.if you want to keep your car this is the way to go.

I would go with the Posyon headers they flow great and are already ceramic coated and the best bang for your buck.

Geoff