Headers for a 1985 Buick Ttype HELP!

Joe Rodriguez

Help! I have a 1985 Buick TType (hot air turbo) and I am having a hard time finding headers that fit my car. Most of the headers are for the 86-87 grand national and I don't think those fit my car? Do you know where I can find some? Thanks.

They don't make hot air headers anymore, Not that i know off. Postons buick had, was the only one a few years back. Since they closed, no more HA parts pretty much.

Best bet is to post in wanted section. You can use the driver side header from a 86/87 TR, they flow much better and are bolt up. Other then that lil trick, you have to get some made. I'm not sure on cost but you can start with RJC header flanges(tube IMO) then go from there.

You really don't need them tho, stock headers won't effect your ET's until your low 10s or 11s one of those. I would just get the 86 driverside header, a bigger Downpipe atleast 2.5'' (delete the stock elbow) right now it's 2'' from elbow. So you can have a 3'' catback but really you have a 2'' exhaust. This will help more then just bigger headers. next would be heads, even a lil port & polish help alot, but bigger valves, 100lb spings(comp or LT1) lifters will wake the car up.

Thanks a lot for the info I really appreciate it. I am going to post a wanted sign but just in case I cant find any where can I find the down pipe and the drivers side header and a decent cold air intake. I just rebuilt my heads what other basic tips can you give me to make my car a little quicker? I don't have a lot of cash.

I don't have a lot of cash.

After i bought this car i had a good amount of money, now after this money pit took alot out of me. I will say watch your spending buddy;)

As for tips Atleast get a cone filter, AEM 9"X4" CONICAL DRYFLOW AIR FILTER ELEMENT 21-2059DK - eBay (item 370475386175 end time Feb-13-11 17:26:21 PST) I bought this (damn cheap and brand new!) This is a 4'' opening, so if your stock you have to use a 3x4 adaptor, any autoparts should have them. Also when you do upgrade to LS1, 85mm(like me) this filter will pop right on no problem. This is the only type of filter i use now, AEM dryflow.

What have you done to the car so far?

Hot Air section

Help! I have a 1985 Buick TType (hot air turbo) and I am having a hard time finding headers that fit my car. Most of the headers are for the 86-87 grand national and I don't think those fit my car? Do you know where I can find some? Thanks.

They are showing some in the hot air section. Beware!!!!

x2 if you do get the TR customs/BuickGN intake kit minus filter, you can use the filter i posted above.

basic mods I would say

86 ECM with TT chip
Cold air intake
Tune up, I like NGK v power and taylor street thunders. 2.00 each at advance, wires summit for Taylor Cable 51000 - Taylor StreeThunder Spark Plug Wire Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
180 Thermostat or 160( goes like stock Tstat is for MPG, 180 mid, 160 for power less MPG)
Throttle body coolant lines plug/bypass
Electric fan convert, use the caspers kit to use the 86 ECM to get auto on/off.
scanmaster/scantool.

Its really hard to say basic since it cost just to get the hotair updated.

Turbo Buick Performance Build Ups/Recipes Here are a few setups but bit old, still good.

I just ordered the AEM dryflow from Ebay thanks for the link. That TR customs GN intake kit sounds good how much is the kit? As for the car I rescued it! it was on its way to the junk yard it had been siting for a few years it is completely stock. I got a new water pump, rebuilt the heads, rebuilt the power master and still having trouble with the brakes no power to the cylinoid? new msd wires, complete tune up. How much will a cheaper down pipe cost me?

I purchased a set of Kenne Bell headers for my ’85 back in the early 90’s. First pair was so off we could never make them fit. In true Kenne Bell fashion the replacement set took a couple months to arrive. After some hammer work and a local custom exhaust shop doing some cutting and welding the headers finally fit the car.
I will honestly tell you, by seat of the pants… the car did not respond as well. The turbo did not seem to spool up as quick and response/pickup seemed slower. I have no numbers to back up my feeling.
Kenne Bell was always a big fan of listing huge gains in advertising (hell, they would sell you a bag of ice and say you could pick up 2/10ths!) The advertised gains with their headers were about 4/10th’s.
Headers in my first mostly stock ’85 GN (modified Trans) Kenne Bell dual muffler exhaust, 150k miles and a questionable pedigree my best was 14.3 on 105 octane race fuel.
My current GN with 130k miles ran 13.4 back in the day with only headers, gutted cat, brand new built trans., similar dual muffler exhaust on 93 octane + a can of Octane Boost. I only made two passes, and lifted at some point during each pass. First time the new Trans shift points scarred me, second time I had a T-top come loose and started leaking air… it threw me until I found the source.
I only purchased the headers due to a cracked exhaust manifold. They cost around $900 new, not counting the shop time and labor to make them fit.
My original GN was rear-ended by a drunk driver and immediately went up in flames. I was able to buy the car back from insurance and salvage everything from the fire wall forward and the main exhaust split tube.
I don’t know how much the headers gave me. My current GN was purchased with a cracked exhaust manifold so the headers from the old car went on the new car right away (hence the above comment.)
I just think back to the feeling of the car being slower once I put the headers on.
Short story long… I’ve been working on this and new posts and responses have been made. Screw the headers! They should be a last on the list item. I agree: 86/87 computer conversion, cold-air intake with the LS1/LT1 MAF, MAF translator and proper chip, upgraded fuel pump, better injectors, electric fan…
Don’t waste your money on headers when you can buy a lot of parts for the same total!
Good luck!!! Don’t be afraid to ask the board for help! This board has saved my a** many times!

Holy sh*t!!!! Those were ARE wheels (look stolen from Enkei no doubt) and you are dead on about the exhaust!!! Didn't we all have something on at least one of our vehicles that was touched by Ehlers... best exhaust/radiator shop in the country in my opinion! Plus I could use their cabinet blaster.
Sorry everyone for the brief hijack (just a couple GN buddies that have some lost years and now many miles separating them with a lot of small town stories to tell!

HOT AIR Big Mouth Cold Air Induction System Page 165$$ for the intake, you could make your own with autostore brand parts, I bought the spectre intake for 30$ at autozone, worked great and no more flex plastic intake tube. Then i bought a valve cover breather with outlet tube, ran that to the intake.

Since you ordered that Air filter, don't forget it's a 4x9, so if you plan to stick with stock MAF get a 3'' to 4'' intake coupler about 10$ at advance.

You can get the fuel pump and hotwire kit here
Racetronix - G7 Fuel Pump Kit - Kit Configuration Page

or pretty much any vendor.

Also go to the junkyard and get yourself a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) Fuel Pressure Regulator- DIY
The junk yard is a good source for these regulators they are on a lot of the 3.8 and 3800 FWD GM cars:
1984 - 1988 CENTURY
1984 - 1987 REGAL
1985 - 1988 ELECTRA
1984 - 1987 RIVIERA
1986 - 1988 LESABRE
1985 - 1987 98
1987 CUTLASS SUPREME
1987 CUTLASS
1986 - 1988 DELTA 88
1984 - 1988 CUTLASS CIERA
1986 - 1987 TORONADO
1987 - 1988 BONNEVILLE

1988 - 1990 ELECTRA
1988 - 1990 RIVIERA
1986 LESABRE
1986 - 1988 SKYLARK
1988 - 1991 LESABRE
1985 - 1987 SOMERSET
1988 - 1990 REATTA

GMC
1991 - 1993 C1500
1991 - 1993 S15 JIMMY
1991 - 1993 C2500
1991 SONOMA
1991 - 1993 K1500
1991 SYCLONE
1991 - 1993 K2500

OLDSMOBILE
1988 - 1990 98
1986 DELTA 88
1985 - 1987 CALAIS
1988 - 1991 DELTA 88
1988 CUTLASS CALAIS
1988 - 1990 TORONADO

PONTIAC
1988 - 1991 BONNEVILLE
1985 - 1987 GRAND AM
1989 FIREBIRD TTA

bosch 237 black, this isn't adjustable but great lil mod.

Here is the link in the sticky to other low cost upgrades.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/junkyard-dogs/295169-junkyard-parts-donor-list.html

i have 3 sets of 84-85 ha stock headers and tons of other stock hot air parts if you need anything else

I also ordered the big mouth cold air intake kit. Thanks for the advice! I dont plan on buying any headers anymore but what exhaust do you guys recomend? I want it to sound good and beefy but I dont want it to sound like some V6 mustangs out there that I see with the flowmaster exhaust and the chrome tips! HAHA! It souds weak! What do you suggest I go with?

Pypes Performance Exhaust SGG53R - Pypes Race Pro Dual Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Pypes Race Pro Dual

Pypes Performance Exhaust SGG50 - Pypes No-Muffler Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Pypes No-Muffler Exhaust System, this one lets you choose your own mufflers.

Hooker Headers 16810HKR - Hooker Super Competition Cat-Back Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Hooker Super Competition Cat-Back, I love the Hooker aero chambers , this is the kit I bought years ago.

I say go with full stainless steel system. with the hooker it is mild steel and I had to coat it with hi temp (outside only) for it to last. The hooker system is great but for todays "new" owners I would advise to only get stainless steel systems. Only reason I say this is the rust issue, some that do have it may or may not have rust or rott.....yet. This will happen to mild steel over time, weather etc. I would go with pypes no muffler system and slap on some hooker aero chambers. Any turbo style muffler no flowmasters.

Also about your brakes , dont waste your time with powermaster unit, here http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/how-tos/307690-powermaster-hydroboost-conversion.html
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/Powermaster_to_vacuum.html
might also want to look into doing the S10 dual piston front brake upgrade.;)

Thanks for the info! What's the difference with the pypes and flowmaster? Also aero chamber? How does your car sound with the hooker exhaust and the aero chamber?

flowmaster kit is 2.25 '' and flowmaster don't work well with our cars. The hooker is 2.5'' and you could go 3'' if you want (not hooker but pypes or a vendor) Stick with turbo style mufflers. http://www.holley.com/data/types/pictures/AeroChamber_ZOOM.jpg I love my exhaust and aerochambers on there.

Check if you have stock exhaust , Someone might have atleast gave you a exhaust system. Then you can just get new mufflers,kept cost down. Take a few pictures exhaust and engine bay.