he vs he2

E

Eighty2Regal

he vs he2, i have a 10 inch he and i know its a single voice coil and i was just thinking of getting another he, now the he2 is dual voice coil, what is really the advantage of dual voice coil? If I have 2 10 inch he subs then which fosgate amp would i need to buy? I have the jensens sounding already but the bass only hits so hard, now once i get a fosgate amp they should pound louder huh. well which amp should i get?

more...

The dual voice coil allows you the change the immpeadance or power handling capacity of the driver. If you run them in parrallel, you will half the total nominal immpeadance of the driver. If you put the coils in series, you will double the nominal immpeadance of the driver.

If the nominal immpeadance of one coil is 8-ohms and you wire both in parrallel, the final immpeadance would be 4-ohms

If you took the same driver and put the coils in series you would have a 16-ohm immpeadance.

I would recoomend the parrallel appraoch and then with that immpeadance in mind, select a amplifier that gives the most power output at that immpeadance level.

Buy as much power as you can. I personally don't think Jensen products are quality products. I prefer and recommend: Kicker, Orion, Hifonics, Planet Audio, Rockford Fosgate, PPI, MMATS, JL Audio, MTX, Crossfire, Zapco, Directed, Xtant .. to name a few. Make sure you run adaquate power and ground wires with proper fusing too.

Re: more...

Originally posted by darkfa8
I prefer and recommend: Kicker, Orion, Hifonics, Planet Audio, Rockford Fosgate, PPI, MMATS, JL Audio, MTX, Crossfire, Zapco, Directed, Xtant .. to name a few.

Dan, you have very good taste in equipment :cool: . These are good reputable brands especially Fosgate which I have run for years.

i mean does a dual voice coil necessarily sound better than a single voice coil?

All it does is change the impedence that the amp sees, less mipedence makes more power but sound quality will start to diminish the lower the impedence you go.

The higher impedence will sound cleaner but not be as strong but you can change that with using an amplifier with more juice.

I wired Scott4DMnys dual voice coils in 8 ohm because his amps are not stable at 2 ohm mono but he is putting a Punch 200 on each sub which will work and play cleaner but I think I will talk him into bridging 1 Punch 200 and parallel both subs to it to get the 500 watts of power out of it into 4 ohm.

will the 500.2 overpower the he or not? how many watts do u have goin to your subs and what kinda amp?

Originally posted by Eighty2Regal
will the 500.2 overpower the he or not? how many watts do u have goin to your subs and what kinda amp?

1) No it will not overpower the HEs, subs respond better to more power than not enough which is worse. The only way that you can blow the subs is by abusing the volume.

2) I am only running 300 watts to them because they are pretty efficient and the way that I designed my cabinet I am not wasting any energy. They are very strong, clean and accurate sounding subs.

3) I am running 2 fan cooled Earthquake 4300s which are clean and powerful. I am very pleased with them and their performance.

I finished the system in mid '98. Its been going strong for over 4 years with not one problem and the only thing that I have done to it is keep everything cleaned and dust free.