HD lower control arms from scratch

I went with 1/2" bolts. I had some 1/2" grade 8 bolts that were just the right length, hardened washers and nyloc nuts sitting in my special fasteners bin.
Not done yet. I got distracted with some paying jobs while in the middle of machining the mounting spacer bushings.

I've seen those types of braces before. A good idea. I'll be bracing the upper crossmember one way or another.

Did you check out those arms? They are very similar to yours. I was wondering if you saw those first and decided to build your own.

Wait till you see the brace set-up I am going to build. I want to incorporate a drive shaft loop into it. I have the idea in my head, I just need to lay under the car for a day or two and see I can make it work. I think I can. If so look out Buick world. I may have the next "must have" part for these money pits.

Thamks
Coach

Did you check out those arms? They are very similar to yours. I was wondering if you saw those first and decided to build your own.

Wait till you see the brace set-up I am going to build. I want to incorporate a drive shaft loop into it. I have the idea in my head, I just need to lay under the car for a day or two and see I can make it work. I think I can. If so look out Buick world. I may have the next "must have" part for these money pits.

Thamks
Coach
Actually, you're typical racing 4 link suspension system gave me the idea.
Your idea sounds very interesting. I hope you post it up when you're done with it.

Actually, you're typical racing 4 link suspension system gave me the idea.
Your idea sounds very interesting. I hope you post it up when you're done with it.

I love the fabrication thread so much, I find myself thinking of things to build so I can post. I just bought 12 more feet of aluminum so I can make 3 sets of trailing arms. I am going to sell them to a vendor to sell to members or put them on e-bay with a link here. I am making 24 more booster plates soon, and I have 2 sets of seat belt floor mounting brackets done. This trailing arm brace / drive shaft loop is going to be trick. It will also kill 2 birds with one stone. The exhaust is the only thing I have to take into consideration. I do not think it will be hard to get around it. I will def post when it is done. I may take the arms to Norwalk race days if they are done.

Coach

Here's the new control arm compared to the old control arm.

Attachments

• IMGP1582rs.jpg
    IMGP1582rs.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 646
how far did you get on this and what is the final cost.?
You can see pictures of them installed in this other thread.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/fa...tion/275197-rear-frame-rail-notching-how.html

They are working great so far. I love having the adjustability. I've already had to use them to move the whole axle housing back a little to give me better clearance between the tire and the front of the wheel opening. I discovered on the first 1/4 mile outing with the new tires at Bakerfield Pinks All Out that tire growth was causing quite a bit of rubbing. I wonder how much it was slowing me down. :rolleyes:

Even with the axle back as far as I dare go, I'm still getting some rubbing. I may have to do some body work to the wheel opening.

here is my set of Lower arms

lower arms are 3/4 heim w/ 5/8 bolt hole, in a swedged tube, cad plated.

tire clearance.....
I cut a slender pie shape from the front of lower rear wheel well, ea side,about 1in wide, and 6-8 in long, then put wheel well back in place spot welded it, and will finish it when I paint the car,

Attachments

• MVC-071F.jpg
    MVC-071F.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 451
  • IMGP0011.jpg
    IMGP0011.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 446
here is what I've been doing

just fun stuff

Attachments

• rear susp4.jpg
    rear susp4.jpg