Hazy tail lights

TrboHead

Has anyone used some type of polish/cleaner to shine up the plastic tail lights. When these cars where new they looked clean and shinny. Now they have slight scratches and haze look to them.
TrboHead

Loctite makes a plastic cleaner polisher, it works good on clear plastic, I've used it on that but haven't used it on any taillights yet, give it a try. Tarey D.

Find out where your local body shops buy their supplies.

Then, go by there & get some 3M Plastic Polish.

HTH :)

Aluminum polish or Brasso

Brasso seems to work best. Even better than plastic polish.

And, using an orbital buffer (like a Porter Cable) will make it all easier, faster, & with less swirls.

After they are all new-looking again, protect them with 3M Marine
Plastic/Vinyl Protectant...you can find it at Walmart in the sporting/fishing goods aisle. Then, they'll never get dull again!

HTH :)

I'm a little late to the game here, but I second the 3M Plastic Polish nomination. I used it on my GN tail lights and my Century headlights. Works awesome.

Jim

3M makes a pruduct called "Trizac" it works great if you want to wet sand your car, but it doesnt use water ( Just enough that the pad is moist) You use it on a DA ( the grit is an ultra fina 2000 that is self sharpening little pyramids) Anyways...the 3M guy did a demo for our class and showed us what this stuff does to old hazy tail lights. First use the DA with the Trizac, and then a foam pad with the trizac polish, better than new and very quick.....

This sounds dumb but I was reading in one of the old fart car restoration magazines and some guy used white toothpaste to polish out some plastic Porsche taillamps. The before and after pix are really impressive. Something to consider.

Originally posted by TrboHead
Crest or Colgate? I might try this on my wife's car first.:D

Regardless of brand, I'd go for the extra whitening. It has a mild abrasive in it. Seems like it would do the trick.

Jim

all toothpastes have a mild abrasive in them. Whenever you get a new scuba/snorkelling mask the manufacturers reccomend using toothpaste on the lenses to get the protective coating off without scratching the lenses ,works great. Dont know about taillights though..