have to pull the trans first time ever

moes87gn

hey guys i have to pull the trans out of my car i have never done it can any one tell me the best way to do it cuz i have to change my torq converter so i was thinking to pull the engine out too but im not sure yet just thinking so if so let me know what u think thanks for the help guys

No need to pull the motor. Just the trans.

Best to use a long 3/8 extensions and a 3/8 swivel for the bell housing bolts. The rest is pretty easy.

Here is my quick rundown of how to do it:

Get your tools. 9/16, 1/2, 15mm 7/16, pliers, extensions and swivels like Rick said.
1. Remove the detent cable from the bracket at the throttle body. Dont mess around with the adjustment. Tuck it down by the bell housing.
2. Get the car up in the air high. 4 jack stands and support the back on the axle tubes. You dont want the rear end to hang down because it makes it hard to get the driveshaft out. Make sure the car is even. This will make it easier to go back in. Remove the pan bolts and drain as much fluid as you can, then put the pan back on.
3. Remove the converter bolts(3) and push it away fron the flex plate making sure it spins free. Remove the shifter linkage and floor shifter cable and bracket. Remove the 4 wire plug, and the speedo cable.
4. On to the rear, remove the bolts(4) in the yoke and remove the driveshaft. Get a drip pan under the tail of the trans incase of a leak. Now you can remove the crossmember bolts(4) and the trans mount bolt(1).
5. Support the trans with a jack under the pan and a piece of wood 1ft X1ft to avoid denting and add stability. Remove the crossmember completely. Remove the bellhousing bolts(6). Remove the dipstick tube, lower the trans about two inches and wiggle the trans away from the block about an inch. Lower it about two more inches and remove the trans fluid lines.
6. Check to make sure the detent, shifter cable, and all the other stuff is free and slowly lower the trans.
7. Drink Beer, soda, juice, or water. Now, clean up the mess you made! Use a new front pump seal and do the rear seal too since its out.

I have a much better time getting the top two on the bellhousing from the top, remove the coil pack & module and you will have enough room to get those top two pains in the Arse.:wink:

I have a much better time getting the top two on the bellhousing from the top, remove the coil pack & module and you will have enough room to get those top two pains in the Arse.:wink:
Thanks John, I knew I'd forget a few things... I do that too! Oh and 7 passes Sunday and it didnt miss a beat!

Just a little addon to instructions..When removing trans pan to drain oil, leave the 4 corner bolts in last.. Loosen front 2 a couple of turns then do the back 2 carefully to let the oil come out in a somewhat controlled fashion into the drain pan.. Also a good time to change u joints and check front slip yoke for twisted splines..And invite a friend to help..

removing tranny lines always helps too.... undo from tranny and move out of the way, remove tv cable from tranny... small 10mm? bolt, pull it up and slide the "L" shaped wire out.. you will see it.

Then you will have more room to undo bellhousing bolts.

Once its all swapped over, get a good picture of you smoking tires, contact me for a Sig pic:biggrin:

Having a tranny jack helps if you are doing it by yourself. I bought one from Harbor freight the
adjustable one:smile:.

trans is out but it dont look good where the tc goes into the trans

PTC Performance Torque Convertor, Ask for Tim
where the tc goes in to the trans looks like the tc was fine but it did damage to the shaft of the trans ground up the teeth left bout .250 of teeth are left on the trans so what do u guys think i should do im going to europe for 2 months so i want to get this done in less than a week or ill put it away till i get back

I think your talking about the stator support. To replace it you have to pull the pump. The new ones are hardened. What was the reason you are changing converters?

i dont know what it is but i know that it was making a grinding noise and i pulled it im going to take pics and post them later on

Go to the auto parts store and get a drain plug kit to install in the pan. You will be glad you did the next time you need to change fluid or drain the tranny.

Bryan

pull the trans tell me what u guys think

:biggrin: my trans.jpgim not sure what this part is called but im told it can be bought new here is a pic thanks alot this site is awsome

As Mike said above, that's the Stator Support. New ones have hardened Splines. Any of the Trans vendors on here should have one or your local Trans parts house.
All that missing metal is inside the Converter, Trans, Cooler & Filter now.:(

well i took it to a shop to have them rebuild it and clean it up i dont have time to do it my self i wish i did but i have to go over seas the shop i brang it to have only been doing trans nothing else 52 years in bussiness they are very good at what they do so i hope to have this done soon he said 3 days

got the trans back from the builders looks great

ok guy i got my trans back the shop put in new a band new shator new clutches and gaskets and seals new filter and trans gasket now the big question is should i use mobile 1 syn trans fluid or something else i bought the 12 quarts yesterday but in not sure got 12 for 105.00 let me know will post some pic of the trans to day so u can see i need to get a trans mount too