Hard to start....?

1984grandnat

Anyone know how to test the idle air control valve? I have the valve off the car, and want to replace it if it's bad, but don't want to spend the 70 bucks if I don't have to.

Also, what happens when these go bad? My car has been hard to start, especially if it sits for more than a few minutes without running. I know the problem is not fuel-related, because when it does finally start, it smells very rich and smokes for a few seconds (lightly). Does this sound like IAC or an ignition module problem?

Also, sometimes it will fire up sooner if I move the gas pedal.

I kinda have the same problems myself...
the longer my car sits, the harder it is to start...if I just shut it off, and wait a minute, it'll fire right up, but if I wait, or go into the store, it takes like 5-6 seconds of "rolling over" till it finnaly fires up...I have that rich smell for a second too...?!?

Check to see if the fuel injectors are leaking down. Attach a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail valve and turn the key on. Turn the key off after the FP builds up and then see if it bleeds down.
If it quickly bleeds down you may have found part of your problem, at least.

That's exactly what mine does. I can tell you what I have replaced, so that you won't do the same with no results:

87 ECM
87 coil pack
had injectors cleaned
fuel filter
fuel pump
MAF sensor
TPS
oxygen sensor
knock sensor
spark plugs

The next thing I will upgrade is the 87 ignition module, new fuel injectors, and plug wires. Maybe one of these will make a difference. I will let you know.