guys with roll bars going through back speakers..question

1985GN

Breaking parts
im getting a cage done in the car in the next couple weeks but had a question for you guys running the bars through where the back speakers go. i have the interior out including hte carpeted speaker cover above the back seat..once the bar is in the car how can i put this piece back without making it look bad..can i cut it to somehow fit around it?? how have you guys done it and does anyone have pics????

I dont have any pics but what I did was build a template out of cardboard. I notched out an area around the bars going through the rear dash and where the 3rd brake light sits. I divided the template in half right where the 3rd brake light would sit. Dividing it half made it much easier to install. I used 1/8 inch thick mdf as the final product and carpet. I made sure to drill holes through the board to make sure the music could be heard. The speakers fit in the stock location as we made sure to install the bars on the inner side of the speaker provisions.

Thanks
John Martin
1986 Buick T-type
9.71 @ 140
6.21 @ 112

i just cut two holes where they needed to be, cut a slot from each hole to the rear , then flexed the slots open and slipped it in around the bars

I cut the holes then made the slot to the front that way it was under the bar & barely visible. I did have to remove one quarter glass to get it in but that is no big deal.

You don't have to go through the speakers. There is enough room to sneak the bar between the speaker and truck hinge bracket.

Remove the carpeted cardboard piece, make your hole, put the carpeted piece back, mark the hole, cut the hole and slide the bar through.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Leave that piece in the car. Your cage builder should be able to cut his own holes and run the tubing thru it without having to cut anymore that is needed. Makes for a clean installation.

I am with Billy, you don't have to go through the speaker holes. I went a little further trying to hide the cage and keep my trunk open. I bent the down tubes to follow the sail panel an go into trunk over the wheel wells and came down to the frame. Unless you really look you don't see it and it keeps the back seat and trunk open. The pic of the trunk is before I put the plate in.

Attachments

• 83 REGAL 035.jpg
    83 REGAL 035.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 546
  • 83 REGAL 032.jpg
    83 REGAL 032.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 543
I am with Billy, you don't have to go through the speaker holes. I went a little further trying to hide the cage and keep my trunk open. I bent the down tubes to follow the sail panel an go into trunk over the wheel wells and came down to the frame. Unless you really look you don't see it and it keeps the back seat and trunk open. The pic of the trunk is before I put the plate in.

That looks very stealthy. Have any more pics?

Wow, nice install!! I love the upholstered padding too. Might have to steal that idea!! :cool:

That looks very stealthy. Have any more pics?
All I have are these 2, Just started on a backhalf and getting creative. Tacking it together right now - have any ideas hit me.

Attachments

• noorwalk 005.jpg
    noorwalk 005.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 444
  • 83 regal 008.jpg
    83 regal 008.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 439
  • crank adain house 006.jpg
    crank adain house 006.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 443
  • crank adain house 002.jpg
    crank adain house 002.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 440
Lilbowtie,
They never gave you any grief over lack of a rear firewall? It's required with the battery and fuel cell.

Lilbowtie,
They never gave you any grief over lack of a rear firewall? It's required with the battery and fuel cell.
As I said in my first post the pic was taken before I put the plate in. I would be dissappointed if they let me run like that but when was the last time you had a good tech on your car?? Since the car started running in the 10's I have been called back to tech at 3 tracks mainly bacause they don't see the cage and probably didn't grandpa's two tone xxit brown regal would go that fast. You do get a better tech then!! I did get popped for not having an SFI dampner.

Attachments

• 83 regal 012.jpg
    83 regal 012.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 407
  • YOK2460.jpg
    YOK2460.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 385
im getting a cage done in the car in the next couple weeks but had a question for you guys running the bars through where the back speakers go. i have the interior out including hte carpeted speaker cover above the back seat..once the bar is in the car how can i put this piece back without making it look bad..can i cut it to somehow fit around it?? how have you guys done it and does anyone have pics????
Sorry 85, I feel like I hi-jacked your thread.

Sorry I missed that.... Never heard of a rear firewall called a "plate"
p.s. sweet car!

I ran my rear bars thru the speaker holes on the very outside of openings and simply went from the 6X9's and adapters I was running to the same adapters modifed with 6" round speakers. The stock speaker hangers fit perfectly.