Gun Safe...

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Can I pick up a safe at one of the big box stores without paying an add-on shipping fee? I mean, if they already have them in the store, why should I have to pay for additional shipping? :mad: Looking at their web sites, they all seem to add this extra fee. I'm looking for an 18 - 24 gun safe that's reasonable, more for storage than theft prevention...

Never had to myself Russ. I'd start looking for a gun show and you might be able to pick one up at a decent price.;)

I bought mine at cabelas . I nearly fell over when they told me CT doesn't collect taxes on safes. I think that's the only item in the state we don't get screwed on. I suggest buying bigger than needed because they fill up fast also if you have a bunch of ammo you might want to store that inside as well as other valuables. It's a great idea. Get a fire rated one too

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yup, fire rated for sure. I never thought about gun shows, I'll have to check it out. I had a spot picked out that will only hold an 18 gun safe but will prolly change locations and get a bigger one...

Russ, Gander Mountain and Academy in Beaumont have some nice safes. Get a size bigger than you think you need!!

If you can wait until the end of the year you'll get a better deal Russ. Inventory clearance can save you a bunch of $.;)

If you can wait until the end of the year you'll get a better deal Russ. Inventory clearance can save you a bunch of $.;)

Thanks Charlie!

Also look at Tractor Supply.

I think they're one of the few w/o adding the shipping charges, will see tomorrow...

i bought a decent fire rated and water rated 24 gun at menards on sale for 699$

LOL Had to look that one up, never heard of it. The closest one is 750 miles away!

Remember no one ever regretted buying a safe that's too big.

And beware of spot welds. A safe with a spot welded body can be opened in a few minutes with a sledge hammer and a car jack.

I bought my Liberty FATBOY Jr. at Gander Mountain last year, it is rated for 56 guns I think and I thought this will be more than I ever need.... Well I regret to say that I am already out of space since I use half of it for ammo storage and reloading components. Liberty are some of the best on the market and come with the price but I will say that I would rather spend it now than 10x as much to replace it all after theft or natural disaster (like the tornado that just destroyed washington,IL 6 miles from me)

,Dan

I ended up with a Liberty Colonial 23, delivered & installed today. After watching the vids on their web, I was sold! One man delivery crew, but with a $4k motorized dolly. For me (at my age and physical maladies) it was worth it to buy from a dealer who installs and services. I set 3 rifles in it and it doesn't look like it'll be comfortable holding more than 10...

That's good to know. I found a like new Liberty Colonial D-23 (with a bunch of upgrades) behind a secret door disguised as bookshelves a couple months ago.

I was going to wait until obama makes another announcement threatening guns then list it on the Panama City Craigslist. :D

I ended up with a Liberty Colonial 23, delivered & installed today. After watching the vids on their web, I was sold! One man delivery crew, but with a $4k motorized dolly. For me (at my age and physical maladies) it was worth it to buy from a dealer who installs and services. I set 3 rifles in it and it doesn't look like it'll be comfortable holding more than 10...

I don't know what guns they design these safes for but I have about the same issue.... My safe is rated for mid 50's, given half of it is shelves for ammo, reloading supplies, and some documents, but I should still have room for 25+ guns, I have about 10 long guns on the one side and I have comfortable room for only about 4-5 more before I feel it is getting way too crowded. I have been looking at the door pocket mat to put my pistols in to clear up a shelf of room for other stuff since I'm pretty well out of room already..

,Dan

Dan,

I'm gonna try these gun rods and see how it works. Amazon had a 10-gun set for $36.88...

gun-rack-rifle-rods-10sk.png