Guess my horsepower

toomanymodz

I took the Buick out for a little test today. It went from 40 MPH to 120 MPH in 7 seconds flat. I'd say she's running pretty good. At 5600 RPM, the 80# injectors are at 78% duty cycle. AFR is 11.0 to 1.

There is a mobile dyno coming this Sunday. Hopefully I can reserve a spot. Any idea what my RWHP is? I'm guessing 550.

550 at least. Although a non-lock converter will give up some slippage on a dyno when locking converters can easily lock before going WOT to get a better number on paper.

A lot more than 550whp if your mph/time info is accurate. 0-40 in 1.4-1.5 seconds with prepped surface and suspension. Sound more like 675whp

I need to know your weight to use my special caluclator :D But I would guess low 600.

Ooh, special calculator. :woot: Total weight is 3550 including driver. Bison, don't you have some special formulas based on the duty cycle that I posted?

Your duty cycle seems low for the performance indicated with no supplemental fuel but high octane non oxy fuel will require 3-5% less fuel and can be run leaner longer than other oxygenated fuels. If you take the fuel consumption in lbs/hr and assume bsfc of .5lb/hr per hp you're over 750hp

Last edited:
So 750 flywheel HP based on fuel consumption? That's about 615 RWHP I think. It does sound a bit high. I could try a slightly leaner mixture of say 11.3 or 11.4 to 1 and retest the duty cycles. I wanted to get the boost up to 24 or 25 but the RJC boost controller is screwed down all the way. I'd have to shim or stretch the spring to go higher and I don't have much time to fiddle with it. For now we'll see what 23# of boost brings us.

So 750 flywheel HP based on fuel consumption? That's about 615 RWHP I think. It does sound a bit high. I could try a slightly leaner mixture of say 11.3 or 11.4 to 1 and retest the duty cycles. I wanted to get the boost up to 24 or 25 but the RJC boost controller is screwed down all the way. I'd have to shim or stretch the spring to go higher and I don't have much time to fiddle with it. For now we'll see what 23# of boost brings us.
No. You wouldn't lose 135hp through the drivetrain. What is your slip at 135mph? If it's less than 6% you're losing very little

I assumed you were going to run pump gas and alky from your signature. ..I would say around 650 with good gas

Bryan

Sent from my SPH-L720 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

So the estimations are in the 600 to 675 range, except for the one 530 estimate. I was guessing 550. The dyno event is tomorrow. I will post the results. Wouldn't it be great if the winner got a $100 gift certificate to a Buick vendor of their choice?

If that's the case let me toss in my vote 592.6 rwhp! I would like the gift certificate written out for TA Performance to get a new aluminum block... :D Just kidding.

If that's the case let me toss in my vote 592.6 rwhp! I would like the gift certificate written out for TA Performance to get a new aluminum block... :D Just kidding.
Haha. Actually, that's probably my next purchase. They're out of stock on the 4 inch off-center blocks. :(