GTA front wheels: adjustments

kietzman

Just wondering if I were to invest in 4 GTA front wheels what adjustments, if any, would need to be made to my 87 T. I assume no spacers needed. Does the speedometer need to be recalibrated for the 16" wheels? How is the clearance on the front wheel wells on turns? Thanks.

Running 16" Z-28 front wheels on my 86 with 245/50/16 tires all the way around and no spacers. No rubbing or clearance issues, even with Eibach springs. Speedometer reads a little fast according to the scanmaster at highway speeds but other than that no issues.

as long as the overall diameter is the same, your speedo will stay the same.
a 245/50/16 is just a tad bit shorter than the stock 215/65/15 tires, so the speedo will read just slightly fast- like maybe a mile or two per hour off. 255/50/16's on the back takes care of this problem..

Running 16" Z-28 front wheels on my 86 with 245/50/16 tires all the way around and no spacers. No rubbing or clearance issues, even with Eibach springs. Speedometer reads a little fast according to the scanmaster at highway speeds but other than that no issues.

You copied me. :p I went with 255s on the back though and the thinner 225-60s on the front. I did use a 7/16" spacer on the rear to place the wheels out that much farther. To the OP, front IROC wheels have the same dimensions as the TTA fronts.

Attachments

• bs006.JPG
    bs006.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 176
  • Picture 220.jpg
    Picture 220.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 169
GTA rim tire sizes/speedometer accuracy

So is there one size mounted both front and rear that keeps speedometer accurate? Or does just the rear tire size matter and fronts can be whatever fits that each individual prefers to run? Thanks, guys.

So is there one size mounted both front and rear that keeps speedometer accurate? Or does just the rear tire size matter and fronts can be whatever fits that each individual prefers to run? Thanks, guys.

Only the height of the rear tires matters for the speedometer reading. You can use whatever you ant in the front as it doesn't affect the speedo...

Claude. :smile:

GTA rim tire sizes/speedometer accuracy

So as long as they are 255/50 on rear, speedometer reads accurate, and you can run the same on front, so that tires can be rotated. Thanks for the clarification!

on my car, the 255/50 rubbed a little bit on the front tires when i turned the steering wheel all the way to full lock- it was just a very minor rub against the plastic inner fenderwells on both sides behind the tires right at full lock. the slightly narrower 245/50 on the very same rims doesn't rub at all.
every car is different, and yours may rub more, less, or not at all- or even be different from side to side. but i will say that the 255's looked flat out evil on the car, and if i could have found a tire in that size that was in my price range when i was shopping for tires, i would have gone with that size instead of the 245's. a slight amount of rubbing at full lock isn't an issue to me.