Growl, not exhaust.

Tom Walker

Tommy2Tone
Well, Turning the corner (left only)this morning I heard an unfamiliar growl,sounding much like a bad bearing comming from the right rear. Rearend was built just a few thousand miles ago. Any ideas what it could be?

When the TR sits for a time or its mainly driven on the highway, the rear for some reason doesn't always properly maintain lube on the clutch paks in the limited slip rear. This is an occasional issue with these cars. Possibly a different type of lube might help. I haven't noticed this issue since using synthetic lube with the GM limited slip additive.

Correct the lube issue by driving (I do it at slow speeds) in a series of "S" turns. Usually I can find a parking lot to do this in.
:cool:

Did the series of S turns this AM. Don't know whether it helped or not. I'll try this again for the next few days to see what happens. What synthetics did you go with and did you add an additive? Thanks...

Did the series of S turns this AM. Don't know whether it helped or not. I'll try this again for the next few days to see what happens. What synthetics did you go with and did you add an additive? Thanks...

I used the additive from any GM dealer. Many synthetic brands are available. Can't remember which one I used, but my sister is an Amway dealer, so I'll probably go that route.
:)

I had a growl in my rearend that started last week. Took it to my mechanic and we pulled it apart. The ring gear was worn and upon further inspection after removing the posi unit, I had a worn bearing. It was worn more on one side than the other. So we inspected further and found the spider gear was cracked where the axel fits in. So I got pissed off and ordered a detroit locker :biggrin: