Ground Wire by Trans Dipstick Bolt

OneBadTT

I found a wire that is broken. It is attached to a bolt that is just above the dip stick bolt that holds the transmission to the engine. The bolt is about the same size as the transmission bolt. The broken wire looks like it is coming out of a black tube holding a bunch of wires. What kind of problems can this broken wire cause? Is this a ground wire? I wonder how much of my problems might be caused by this broken wire? Thanks to anyone that can help.

Sounds like the ground to the motor. Trace where it connects to on the engine disconnect it and replace it.

Bad or missing grounds can cause electrical weirdness and intermittent problems.

It is a ground. There should be a couple in that area. I know one is for your starter. These cars are bad about grounds. The ones on the back of the block are a pain. I buy a ground block for an S10 and hook those grounds to it and extend it to the front of the block. It is much easier and looks better. You want to keep all your factory grounds at the very least!

Buick 11 2010 Broken Wires.JPG

Here's a pic of my broken wires. All 3 seem to be black with a white line. This is behind the passenger head, down where the engine and transmission bolt together. #1 looks like it might have been attached to a bolt because its only broken at the end of the wire (??) and the bolt has a connector with no wire attached. #2 looks like it was cut and stripped with the bare wires showing at the end. #3 looks like it is broken and some of the plastic sheath is empty at the end and then you can see bare wires protruding from the wire. I must have severed this wire when I was reinstalling the transmission. I am figuring that #2 and #3 should be connected back together.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to reconnect these wires? All 3 are coming out of the oval black wire protector. They are hard to reach, and won't come out any more than what you can see.

Thanks.

Hey Justin84...

I know. Man, I'm just glad I spotted it when I was trying to find any possible broken wires. The car has been running really bad since I re-installed the transmission. I spotted it from underneath the car. Now I just have to figure out how to fix it!

Okay,

"I buy a ground block for an S10 and hook those grounds to it and extend it to the front of the block. It is much easier and looks better. You want to keep all your factory grounds at the very least!:

I don't know much about this stuff. Where can I get a ground block for an S10? Do I use these existing wires? Do I add wires to reach from these wires to the ground block? Have you done this to your car and, if so, do you have any pictures of your set up? Thanks.

You may have pinched those wires between the engine and transmission, which caused your engine problems.

Just for a basic Idea. I take all of the grounds on the Passenger side and connect them on one terminal of the box and make a HEAVY duty gauge wire that goes to the front of the head. This makes it easier on me to pull the engine. If you pull the engine once you will see what I mean. I will get better pics tomorrow. The box is a simple bolt down the existing grounds and run out a new thicker one to a better spot.

Attachments

• stash 010.jpg
    stash 010.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 171
  • stash 011.jpg
    stash 011.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 184