Grand National or Regal T Type

BoostKing

My uncle has a 86 Grand National (supposedly) which he wants to sell to my Dad. It is a clean black, turbo Buick, but is missing all of the Grand National badges. Is there a way to tell whether it is an authentic Grand National? Maybe a code in the VIN, or some other way to tell?

TY in advance, John

Look for the WE2 option code on the sticker in the trunk. Make sure the VIN number of the sticker also matches the one on the dash.

If it has the option WE4 then it's NOT a Grand National.

Thank you guys very much for your input. It is much appreciated.Is there anything i can check just with the VIN after i check the interior and sticker? some sort of a number or code???

Thanks alot, John

This doesnt make it for sure a GN, but if the trunk code label is not there then check under the hood for the body ID tag. It is located on the cowl on the drivers side. It is a little tag a little bigger than a business card that is riveted on. It holds the paint info on it for upper and lower body. If it has anything but both 19L and 19U on it then its a Turbo Regl thats been painted black. If it has both 19U and 19L stamped on the tag then the car left the factory as an all black Turbo car which there werent many Turbo Regals other than the GN's that were all black. Id rather have a Black 86 T-Type than a 86 GN anyways though as they are lighter because the T-Types recieved aluminum bumper supports front and rear while the GN's had steel. Most T-Types also had aluminum brake drums where as most GN's had the steel ones

I think the 8th digit in the vin should be a "7" and the letters just before the last 6 numerical digits should be "HP".

In 1986 the Grand National was an option on the T-Type. The Grand National became a model to itself in 1987. As it was an option, everything was the same on the GN as the T-Type except for the things included in the option package. From memory, it included special badging, wheels (steel/chrome not aluminum), specific interior (gray/black) bucket seets, blacked out bumpers in place of the chrome and a rear spoiler. There was no mechanical difference. The option was cosmetic only. Of course, as stated above, black/black was the only color for this option. The only way of telling for sure is the "WE" code on the trunk lid. If the trunk sticker is missing or illegible, the things to check for are the paint codes as stated above, the GN interior and rear spoiler as these would be the hardest to change.

Man!!This forum community rules. Other forums i would be called a noob, and told to do some research. here I got everything i need to know in a very short time. Thanks a lot guys!!! After i pick the car up i will get some pictures posted, and then of course, like with any car, start spending some money. This Turbo Buick will be a fun project. Thanks again guys.
John

Id rather have a Black 86 T-Type than a 86 GN anyways though as they are lighter because the T-Types recieved aluminum bumper supports front and rear while the GN's had steel. Most T-Types also had aluminum brake drums where as most GN's had the steel ones

Every '86 GN I have ever seen have Aluminum bumper supports, just like the T-types.

It's the '87 GN that got the heavier steel bumper supports

Only non posi cars and the GNX received AL brake drums from the factory.

If you got a Posi (and it isn't a GNX), you got cast iron drums.

Did the T-Types came with rear spoilers? I just bought a 1986 T-Type, but it has the limited edition options.
ONLY the Grand National and GNx received the rear spoiler factory installed.

What "Limited Edition" options does your car have?

Here is the picure of the car I bought. I was told the it was the original paint. But now that you tell me only GN's had the rear spoiler it makes me wonder about my car. It runs and it feels good though.

Attachments

• DSCF2166.jpg
    DSCF2166.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 193
The car came with T-Tops, bench seats, all power electric. Pretty much like the Buick Regal Limited. By the way I'm still learning about my car. Everybody keeps talking about the stick on the trunk lid. How can I find out where/what those codes mean and what is the purpose? Thanks in advance.

Your car is FAR from original. It's badged and painted as a T package. It would be a "T-Type" if it's a 1986 model and a "Turbo T" if it's a 1987. Someone painted the bumpers to match the car, painted the chrome badges black, put on a Grand National spoiler and changed out the wheels just to start.

You can go to Turbo Regal Web Site and look up all the option codes from the sticker in the trunk.

Did the T-Types came with rear spoilers? I just bought a 1986 T-Type, but it has the limited edition options.

The only T-type that received a rear spoiler is the WH1 designer series. It will have WH1 on the option code on the trunk decal.

The only T-type that received a rear spoiler is the WH1 designer series. It will have WH1 on the option code on the trunk decal.
Geez, forgot about that one. These cars are so dynamic it's hard to keep every detail straight.

One thing for sure, I'll be getting rid of those wheels. They just don't go with the car at all. It's taking the muscle look away from it.