Grainger Valve How To!!!

Red87GN

Ok,
I have a Grainger valve straight from Grainger. It is part number 5z763. Now what modifications need to be done to it before installation?
John:confused:

Vent hole downstream?

Anyone???

What about the vent hole downstream(on the relief side)? How important is this relief hole and where should it be located? Also do you need the restrictor orifice like in the stock setup?
John;)

I don't know why you'd need the OEM plastic Y. It's purpose is to discourage turbo lag by reducing the amount of boost pressure acting on the wastegate actuator.

The Grainger Valve is effectively an adjustable check valve. It prevents ANY boost pressure from being applied to the wastegate actuator prior to the Grainger Valve's setpoint being reached...

Grainger Valve?

I was just wondering about the small relief hole on the actuator side of the Relief valve. On the Dawes device there seems to be a small vent holeon the side that goes to the wastegate actuator. What is the purpose of this hole and do I need to put it on my grainger valve? The only thing I can figure it would be for is to allow the actuator to return to "home state" I guess when the valve is not relieving anything.
John

Anyone!!!

I'm noit trying to take anybodies secrets away, I'm just a do it yourself kind of guy. Isn't there a grainger valve how to section anywhere? How many headgaskets will it take befoer I figure this out?/

John

ASSume you have the spring/ball type valve?

as S'eagle said, just put it in line between wastegate and turbo and when you reach the point that overcomes the valve, boost will be applied to the wastegate (lose the solenoid and y-hose)

adjust your wastegate arm fairly loose, and test to see where your boost goes....if you get a spike at first, the valve is holding more boost than the wastegate...either tighten the wastegate or loosen the Grainger

this ASSumes you do not have a bleeder type valve that holds boost at a certain level

I have the Dawes and use it for quick spoolup....the wastegate still controls ultimate boost (once the Dawes opens)

Taffy,
That's exactly what I was looking for. A good explanation of how to install the relief valve. Thanks

azgn,
Guess I ASSumed you read the entire post. Since the first thing I gave in my post was the Grainger part# of the RELIEF valve I was using. As I later posted I was specifically asking about the actuator side of the RELIEF valve, whether or not it needed a vent hole. It appears I ASSumed to much. Thanks for your wonderful insight.

CalgaryGN,
Go to the link that Taffy posted, it has pics and a good writeup.

John:D :)