grade of steel

pajo

I am in a process of having a local machine shop make me a new rocker arm shafts for my roller rockers since the old ones are chewed up some what , does anyone know what grade of steel are the shafts made of ..

I don't know but If I were to make custom shafts that I wanted to be tough I would have them made from 8620 and have them nitrided for hardness. 8620 is a real tough steel and the nitriding will give it good wear resistance. Through hardened E52100 would be probably better against the roller bearing.
AG. .

You'd be better off buying them. Regardless of the alloy, the shafts are hardened after machining. Can your shop do this for a reasonable price?

The shafts need to be surface hardened and precision ground. An expensive process for a couple of pieces unless you have a relative or friend that works in a a grinding shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks on all your replies, it appears that it does get little bit more complicated when making these hardened roller rocker shafts. After talking to the machine shop owner (again) they do not have the know how of the hardening process, we were going to make them out of 52100 steel but we were not sure if that is the correct grade. Thanks to "jemook" I did check with TA Perf. and they do have the heavy duty rocker shafts at price that I was going to pay to have them made.

The shafts need to be surface hardened and precision ground. An expensive process for a couple of pieces unless you have a relative or friend that works in a a grinding shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^ This.