Gotta mess

T Carter

The previuos owner of the GN i purchased a month ago installed a smc alcohol kit some time ago. This kit still works fine due to the owner useing the uplon lubericant. I have a problem though, they installed the spray nozzle in the bend of the up pipe, thus causing the thing to dump alky back to intercooler. where to a go to buy some new pipes and are the different sizes,or are the all the same. my current up pipe is 2 1/2 and maf if flex. I want to purchase both if i can where to go

I would try a local muffler/exhaust shop that can mandrell bend a stainless pipe for you. you can bring both pipes so they can match the bends.

If it's a stock set-up there is probably at least 50 up pipes for sale in the "for sale" section.

You can have one tapped where you want the nozzle located for very little money if you can't do it yourself.

If you have a non-stock set up, chances are someone on this board is selling the up pipe you need/want.

Add some info to your post and copy it over in the "parts wanted" forum.

Good Luck!:)

Why is it dumping back into the ic??
If it turns off cleanly, there should be no such problem.
When turned on @ the correct time, the spray is in a tornado of incoming air. How does the alky precipitate out of the stream?
A pic of where it's located would help.

Chuck brings up a good point. You might want to check when the alky is coming on and off in relation to your throttle/TPS setting. If it shut off to late you might not have enough piston speed which creates a pressure differential to keep velocity going into the intake, therefore keeping the alky atomized....then you get pooling.

motor.jpg

That location is not the best place for it, this could very well be why you are getting pooling as you let of the gas there may not be enough intake air speed to draw in the remaining alky especially the the extra work going upward around the bend. it would be hard to keep it atomized. a quick fix would be to epoxy the existing hole and drill another hole for the alky injector approx 2-4 inches from the rubber hose connecting the up pipe to the throttle body. i would put it at the 9 o'clock postion if looking staright into the throttle body. since the position of the current hole is in a place where no one will see it the epoxy will not be noticed and will give you enough time to find another up pipe.

double check and see if the alky high pressure line will be long enough, either way relocating the nozzle/injector is a good idea.

my thoughts exactly . Im gonna go ahead and oder the polished up pipe. The maf pipe is the flex are mist of those 2 1/2? and why would you go to a bigger sized pipe? and if you do, will you have to change chips? thanks for all of you advice.

109 is the stock 3.8 block that came with all Grand national and turbo regals...I use a bigger MAF( mass air flow) pipe because I want the least amount of restriction into my induction, I don't think you will need a new chip if you change your maf pipe unless if you would want to get rid of the maf sensor it self. I am running a FAST fuel management system which let's me remove my maf sensor and turns my system into a speed density set up.

oh gotcha. your running some big power . That fast system is awesome. I have always wanted a GN so i went out and bought one . It came from cleveland ohio. I thing the lady i bought it from listed here on this forum. What the best idea to remove surface rust from under carriage?

LoL...depends how much rust you have...but honestly the best way is some WD40 and sand paper (elbow greece), when done wipe it down with simple green or break cleaner and give it a coat of anti rust semi-flat black paint...did you put all the mods on yourself or did previous owner do it, how does it run?

I don't know what your goals are, but a stock computer and TTchip with some relatively straight forward engine upgrades will put your car in the low 11's easily.

You don't need a FAST system to do it.

FastV6Henry's thought on a temporary fix is a good one. Get that issue squared away first, and then move on to the next thing that troubles you about the car. Knock down the problems one at a time. If you try to fix a bunch of things at once and you aren't an expert with these cars, you'll only cause yourself a bunch of grief and cost yourself money.

Keep asking questions here, lots of good info to be had. Remember that just because someone says "this is the BEST" doesn't mean it's the best thing for you, your car and/or your application.

Find a local guy or two that other local GN/TR owners respect and enlist their advice and help.

Good luck and welcome to the really, really unique world of Turbo Buicks!:)

Damn that was well spoken. both of you guys have been great help. Thank you uy for the help and advice