Good Popular Mechanics Article

I have this magazine tucked away somewhere, nice to see the article again.

JimP,

I agree with you it was worth finding the whole mag. I googled it and found it on ebay and snatched it up.

For sure, it's a keeper.

That's a shit article. The Buicks were faster than they reported. No one ever saw the viper click off an 11 either. It actually broke. They reportedly brought in another viper on a different day and got that number. The gs ran very low 12's that day but they said it was too late in the day and it didn't count. Roll eyes. The chevelle, hemi cuda, and old trans am ran slower than they printed also. The chevelle reportedly ran mid 14's all day. Lol. The media never gave the buicks a fair shot. If they did this type of stock appearing shoot out again id be interested in helping anyone with the $$$ to build it for free just to make sure it's a Buick blow out. Till then popular mechanics can eat a turd.

Speaking of Vipers, I was at Norwalk with my buddies rough Limited. It was all stock a week before, we added the typical bolt on's, TE44, etc. There was a guy with a Viper, Dodge dually and tri axle enclosed trailer pitted next to me, had is canopy rolled out over it, tropy wife dusting it. I said to a friend of mine, I need to line up next to him. He ran 12.2's, I went 11.35 off the trailer.
Now that Limited is getting a frame off resto, but he wanted to race it the way he bought it, rough white crappy repaint with rust water runs, spray canned header panel, Trans Am hillbilly wing. The nicest part of the car was the Billet Specialties rear wheels with 275/60 drag radials he borrowed from me. Classic.

An article is an article and the result can be whatever the writer wants it to be; to some extent.

I find it hard to believe that the old muscle iron did not fair better. You really can't take the article TOO seriously since some cars had mods and others did not. Is it even really possible to put all of those vehicles on some sort of level playing field, ie...tires, mods, fuel, etc. to get a truly subjective result? Probably not. I'm a Viper guy and a TR guy and I enjoyed the article, period. It was fun and entertaining.

I also don't get butt hurt when another article bashes something I like. It's all just opinion. I only posted it because I thought others might enjoy it as well and not take it as gospel.