Goes down threw the gears but.

gmpower6

Ok first off the motor is out. Now when I turn the key and shift down threw the gears it seem fine but when I go back to park it just slides up and the column does not move. The column does move when I go from park to 2nd and really struggles to move in first. Kind of hard to explain. Never had this problem with my other 87 t. When the motor was out. If need more info I will try to explain it the best I can.

If the trans is not lined up as if bolted to the engine the rod may be in a bind

Bryan

When the motor was is the key was stuck in the ignition and could not get it out. Now I move the trans in park all the way as far it would go and got the key to move back and I got it out. I had the same problem befor I pulled motor.

The rod is not adjusted right. You can grab the collar with your hand and turn it to get the full rotation. There is a screw on the rod, loosen it and adjust the rod to the right height, then tighten and test

Bryan

Ok but I think I tried that move it a few time but will try again Wednesday. I even went to look at my other 87 just to get it somewhat close.

We'll it was the cable. I had a brand new stocker in the cabinet. Lucky I still had it. It's been up there for 15 years.