Go Hybrid or total resto?

michaeljr

This is my first post, thought i'd ask for a couple opinions. I bought a 1987 GN with 53k original miles on it for $1200.00 about 6 months ago. it had spent the last 12 years sitting under a bunch of trees collecting leaves which resulted in major rust. It is repairable, but would take a very long time and cost a fortune. My question is should I transplant the drive train into my 63 Riviera and have a very different car. please let me know your opinion, i appreciate it.

You could swap it and rebuild the gn and swap it back later.That was my orginal intent but the gn was twisted up pretty good was not worth saving so I'm swaping into a monte ss.

No big surprise - I vote Hybrid

f4.jpg

that looks great, what were the biggest obstacles you had to overcome? i'm guessing the motor mounts had to be custom made?

thanks for the advice

I think I will transplant the 231 in the Rivi and rebuild the 425ci nailhead and at the same time complete the GN's body work. Thanks to all who replied!

I have a Turbo6 in my '64 Riviera and it's a ton of work to get it to fit in there. I have built a custom oil pan, motor mounts, trans crossmember and it's still getting wiring done now. You have to relocate the whole drivetrain 3.5in forward so the AC compressor clears the drivers upper A-arm. Now I'm working on getting this thing done so I can drive it on and off of a trailer to get it to my next assignment but it would be possible to convert to a Sanden style compressor instead of the R4 and be able to set the engine back farther but it will not save you from a custom oilpan or exhaust setup.

i would fix the GN see my sig i had some bad rust and i fixed it all, i was like 17 at the time. If i can do it anyone can.

Repair the gn

A friend of mine did an elcamino,spent a ton of money... He decided to sell it,not many people in the market for the car. He wants thousands more than most are willing to pay, at least with the gn, its a low mile-restored car.. A larger market,you can't go wrong.. I know most will say "i never selling the car' but it's always a consideration. Life changes,circumstances change.. I love my gn,i consider it a toy and a bank acct.

After what I am going through just getting it into a different year Regal, I would go with the resto. But then again, not only did I go hybrid, I am going hot air to intercooled at the same time. Half my battle is collecting parts.

Put a 455 in the Riv. Buy a rust free shell and fix the GN.

X 1,000,000
I love hybrids and I think they are very cool but not at the expense of a fixable GN. I will tell you one thing, out of all the cars I have and all the hybrids I had my hand on, there are no experience that can even come close to driving a GN and see the respect and fear in the eyes of others!!!

HTH

Prasad