GNX with sunroof

gtokid1

GNX with sunroof on display

Returning from dinner last night and drove by ASC World headquaters,located in Southgate,Mi..There in the window was the late Heinz Prectors GNX or at least one with a sun roof.
John

I thought all sun roof were factoy autherized but done by a out side sorce?Seen that some where!

All of the GNX cars were hardtops. Anything else was an aftermarket job which seriously decreases the value of a GNX.

Grand Nationals were transported to ASC where they entered at one end and exited as GNX's at the other end.This is the conversion site and Mr. Prector was the owner of ASC. ASC or American Sunroof Corporation which is the long version has on display a GNX with one of ASC's roofs.I hope this clears up my original post.
John

GNX's came out of McLaren as GNX's, not out of ASC. They would all be sunroof cars if they came out of ASC as GNX's:rolleyes:

All sunroof's on GN's were done aftermarket I believe.

actually there were some GN's that came with astro roofs from the factory...isn't that the same thing? these are rare of course...

Actually they left ASC-McClaren in 87 :)

They were together at that time. I believe a few years later they went their seperate ways..

Since ASC stands for american sunroof company , i can imagine you could call it a factory sunroof GNX. :D

ASC along with McLaren did the GNX conversions. ALL GNX's were hardtops with the exception of the one kept by the owner of ASC who had one installed.
Check the window sticker on a GNX it will say ASC McLaren.
The limited number of 87 GN's that had FACTORY installed sunroofs (believed to be in the quantity 700 or less. although unable to be officially confirmed) were supplied by ASC to Fisher body for installation at the time of production. You can determine a factory original by the RPO code in the trunk and on the Fisher body plate on the firewall cowl as well as they have a chromed switch between the sun visor and a contoured headliner.
Dealer installed astro roofs (official name) could also be done by ASC. You can determine one of these by the perimeter ring on the roof cutout (as opposed to hemmed at the factory) and a black switch. Additionally, these cars lacked the plugged emergency access hole for manual closure of the roof (with an allen type wrench) when/if the motor failed.
:)

I was at ASC today & the shipping clerk told me that the GNX does have a sunroof. She said she has driven in it & her husband is in love with the car. We went to look at it but it had been moved so they could have their Christmas party there. Oh yeah there were 18 SSR's parked there (yellow & red). The new Dodge ram w/hemi that I saw on speedvision. The clay model of the SSR.
I also like to look at the cavalier/el camino they have there.

I used to date a girl that worked there. Not sure if she still does, it was 10 years ago. Jackie was her name.

RPO

So there is a difference between the RPO code for ASC installed and Factory installed Astroroofs??

Does anyone know the RPO codes??

Thanks,

Ravi

Factory installed is "CF5" and has the outside of the glass chromed/mirrored. This code will appear on the RPO trunk sticker and on the Fisher body plate under the hood on the cowl. Dealer installed will not have the code and are sometimes just a dark limo tint on the glass.:cool:

info

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure I have a factory ASC Astroroof then. I didn't check the code yet (stored) but the description checks out. I didn't realize they were so rare, approx 700 is VERY rare. I also have the factory Power Seat which apparently was not an option with the Astroroof. The original purchaser of my car worked for GM...Special Order??

Ravi

It was an option on all G body cars. GM didn't recommend the combination because power seats are higher than standard tracks and the moonroof lowered headroom by about an 1 1/2'';)

This is funny!!

ASC along with McLaren did the GNX conversions. ALL GNX's were hardtops with the exception of the one kept by the owner of ASC who had one installed.
Check the window sticker on a GNX it will say ASC McLaren.
The limited number of 87 GN's that had FACTORY installed sunroofs (believed to be in the quantity 700 or less. although unable to be officially confirmed) were supplied by ASC to Fisher body for installation at the time of production. You can determine a factory original by the RPO code in the trunk and on the Fisher body plate on the firewall cowl as well as they have a chromed switch between the sun visor and a contoured headliner.
Dealer installed astro roofs (official name) could also be done by ASC. You can determine one of these by the perimeter ring on the roof cutout (as opposed to hemmed at the factory) and a black switch. Additionally, these cars lacked the plugged emergency access hole for manual closure of the roof (with an allen type wrench) when/if the motor failed.
:)
Well I was on my 1st day tranning at a company RPS (roadway packaging system ) now fedex ground. We,my tranner and I picked up a box from ASC HQ in southgate,mi going to the plant where they was building the GNX. Well It was a glass sunroof and it didn't make it. How I know this is, My 1st day by myself on the route I missed the pickup at ASC They closed at 4:15pm:eek: so NEXT DAY I go to ASC and this guy in the shipping sees me pulling in 4:19 pm and he throws his hands in the air and yelling! He said there was a team waiting for this sunroof at the plant And it was going in the owner of ASC's GNX And the 1st one broke then I missed the pickup the day before. Anyway He boxed up 2 of them and sent them. But With all his bitching , I knew That job was not for me. It was my last stop, I went back to RPS parked the truck and never went back. Well that must've been the only reson I worked at RPS is to make sure that one GNX had a sunroof.... or to delay it ? LOL Anyway thats all I know about it.

This is funny!!

Well I was on my 1st day tranning at a company RPS (roadway packaging system ) now fedex ground. We,my tranner and I picked up a box from ASC HQ in southgate,mi going to the plant where they was building the GNX. Well It was a glass sunroof and it didn't make it. How I know this is, My 1st day by myself on the route I missed the pickup at ASC They closed at 4:15pm:eek: so NEXT DAY I go to ASC and this guy in the shipping sees me pulling in 4:19 pm and he throws his hands in the air and yelling! He said there was a team waiting for this sunroof at the plant And it was going in the owner of ASC's GNX And the 1st one broke then I missed the pickup the day before. Anyway He boxed up 2 of them and sent them. But With all his bitching , I knew That job was not for me. It was my last stop, I went back to RPS parked the truck and never went back. Well that must've been the only reson I worked at RPS is to make sure that one GNX had a sunroof.... or to delay it ? LOL Anyway thats all I know about it.
GNX #195 ... The car that ASC McLaren installed the 2nd of the two sunroofs in !
When the owner of car #033 was contacted a few years ago in regard's to GNX #195, there was a short conversation about the sunroofs which he then asked if the car was for sale but it was not.
From that point on he was reluctant to share any information about the two sunroof installed GNX's that rolled out of the ASC McLaren plant. After speaking with an employee that worked on the GNX Line at McLaren it was learned that the 2nd sunroof car was shipped to a dealer somewhere in the North East and they lost track of it from there. A dentist/Dr purchased the car from a Chevy/Buick Dealership in NH. After putting 15k miles on the car, it was sold at a court ordered estate sale and it was then purchased by a truck Driver who put an additional 22k more miles on it and always kept it garaged as did the first owner. Neither owner had ever registered GNX #195 with the GNX Registry.
The car is all original and was never hit. The sunroof does not have a manual crank socket however it does have the black switch with white arrows which is located just forward of the sunroof. It has the vent option installed on the sunroof's sun shade, which was read somewhere on a post or write up that the 2nd sunroof car did have the vents installed and the switch was on the headliner just forward of the sunroof. Car #033 did not have the vents installed. Car #195 also has identical outer weather stripping and inner molding that car #033 has.
It is to be understood that these two cars use a narrow sunroof in order to fit between the roof supports in order to not compromise the cars integrity and warranty.

GNX #195 ... The car that ASC McLaren installed the 2nd of the two sunroofs in !
After speaking with an employee that worked on the GNX Line at McLaren it was learned that the 2nd sunroof car was shipped to a dealer somewhere in the North East and they lost track of it from there. A dentist/Dr purchased the car from a Chevy/Buick Dealership in NH. After putting 15k miles on the car, it was sold at a court ordered estate sale and it was then purchased by a truck Driver who put an additional 22k more miles on it and always kept it garaged as did the first owner. Neither owner had ever registered GNX #195 with the GNX Registry.
The car is all original and was never hit. The sunroof does not have a manual crank socket however it does have the black switch with white arrows which is located just forward of the sunroof. It has the vent option installed on the sunroof's sun shade, which was read somewhere on a post or write up that the 2nd sunroof car did have the vents installed and the switch was on the headliner just forward of the sunroof. Car #033 did not have the vents installed. Car #195 also has identical outer weather stripping and inner molding that car #033 has.
It is to be understood that these two cars use a narrow sunroof in order to fit between the roof supports in order to not compromise the cars integrity and warranty.