GN1s & Headgaskets, What are you having luck with?

Originally posted by TURBO 6
What spark plugs are required for GN1's?

I use Autolite 103's, which are the same heat range as the AC42's or Autolite 23's used in stock heads. The plugs for the GN1's just have longer threads.

Thanks Wolf, I am trying to get my ducks in a row before I get the heads. ;)

OK, no luck with stockers either. Think I'm gonna try O-ringing the heads and using Fel-Pro wire lock gaskets. PITA, where are my Iron heads? I've now seen this on another set of GN1s, a little leakage passed the fire ring on the head side just above the starter. (#4) These were installed at Cottons so I know they were done right. Above average power on both cars and not much knock but some. I can't see 5 degrees of knock killing the gasket so quick, but as power goes up I know it's more critical to get it right. Now the choice, Cometic or reciever groove and wire lock gasket.:confused:

Leaking on BOTH sides, block and head cyl #4. Just a little, everyone else OK. Maybe a little more torque would have done it. I'm gonne try Cometic gaskets before I O-ring.

what about the 84/85 shim type?

that was my plan, with arp bolts(studs maybe) and ge1200? isn't that waht race jase uses?

Yup, the only thing with em is you gotta retorque. After I great care putting her together, the last thing I want to do is take the headers and valve covers off to retorque. Not sure but I think Cometics don't require a retorque.

why would you have to take the headerds off? i would rather retouque it than change it, besides i am gonna use trw pistons and they have a low compression ratio(7.95 to 1) i figure that the shims will bring me up to like 8 or 8.25 (max 8.5) and never have any headgasket problems. and they are only $15 each to boot. seems the easiest sure route to me.