GN1R vs Stage II Heads

Too bad im totally serious. No nut farm. Not even Bates:biggrin: . Maybe we will meet up at an event like BG or something sometime. It will be musical engines though since i only have 2 cars and one will be a stage 2. Not with Chapman race ported heads. It will only be a low 9 sec 150+mph drag radial car though :rolleyes: . Ive got a good set of s2 head sat my disposal. Maybe ill rethink and call Chapman for some porting

I know you are. I'll let you put an extra engine in my car if you want ;) , just dont shake all the rust off of it.

Whatever bud. Post some real numbers. Your Chapman race ported stage 2 should run 9's at about 16-17psi. Does it? Took the cam down to keep the velocity up. lol. An antique converter and a tiny turbo. Passing an emissions test doesnt mean anything. May be 9.5-9.6 if you neat the balls off it. A street car must be capable of driving thousands of miles in a short period of time like a month. Hundreds of miles in one trip. Driven to the drag strip and run on the street like it is at the strip. I have no clue what Bates nut farm is either. Id street race you with one of my iron headed stock blocks if you were closer.

So, again, tell me about how your S2 headed street car needed to run 5500 RPM and it was a real pig below 5500 RPM. That's what the discussion is about - not about how fast your race car is. But you needed to change the subject, didn't you?

Done talking with you.

Juan...that's my input. Hope it helps. Good luck.

sounds like a similar post I brought up. Using the iron stage 2 heads on a production block. I guess I'm not the only one with these wild ideals.:cool:

although you edited that, it still shows up in an email as:
so and so has just replied to a thread you are subscribed to on turbobuick.com
the message was:
................. .............. .............

and I thought that was funny!:D

So, again, tell me about how your S2 headed street car needed to run 5500 RPM and it was a real pig below 5500 RPM. That's what the discussion is about - not about how fast your race car is. But you needed to change the subject, didn't you?

Done talking with you.

So post the numbers so that everyone else knows how quick you are with your low rpm stage 2 headed engine. Im sure they are really wondering what the real deal is. Dont worry i wont ever check this thread again.

Well guys, I have no experience in running stage II headed car on the street yet but I will by next year for sure. At this time I have no real numbers to tell you guys. I know a street car varies in definition for most people. Well in my book a street car is; driving to the shows, track and a pleasure drive on a Sunday morning and of course with ac and heat if needed)
I am willing to experiment with stage II heads. My combo is, on center block Stage II heads a 230/230 street solid roller cam, either 76GTS or GT42/76 turbo and AC driving about 1000 miles a season and see what happens. I have the stage II motor ready to go sitting on my engine stand. I have talked with people that have experience running stage II heads on a street car including Mac, Mike Licht and others. I came to the conclusion that I will no issues as far as running the stage II heads, we will see.
The other reason I went with stage II heads was; I got a nice pair of stage II heads, roller rockers, valve covers and misc for around $750. If I were to get GN1’s with all that it would be around 3K, so it was a no brainer. I was also discouraged by the GN1’s cracking ( the early one’s, I had a set) The valve guide issues and smoking. I know they have come a long way and the GN1R’s pretty darn good.

I know that you can accomplish a lot with GN1 heads, I have seen them deep into the 8’s To get the maximum power out of a stage II heads you need to run a bigger turbo than what you would use on GN1’s. In my case I am not looking to light the world on fire. My objective was price first then everything else.

Bison, I have a great deal of respect for you for what you bring to the table, you are asset to our community. With all my research I am with Mac on this one for my own sake :eek: . We will see.

Just my $.02

Prasad

Done talking with you.

Bison has done plenty of work with me on my Stage II headed car so he can speak as if it were his own. I think he has the experience and knowledge to back his claims.

Bison has done plenty of work with me on my Stage II headed car so he can speak as if it were his own. I think he has the experience and knowledge to back his claims.

That's great to know. Is your stage II headed car is "an absolute pig under 5500 rpm," as he says? Seems like you're happy with your 9.86 true 3700# street car. Sorta proves my point that S2 heads do pretty well in a street car...no?

I've got plenty of work on my Stage II headed car, and I've got plenty of experience and knowledge to back up mine.

Hmm.

I'm just not feeling the love in this thread. You guys bicker like a bunch of old ladies in a nursing home. :D

Well guys, I have no experience in running stage II headed car on the street yet but I will by next year for sure. At this time I have no real numbers to tell you guys. I know a street car varies in definition for most people. Well in my book a street car is; driving to the shows, track and a pleasure drive on a Sunday morning and of course with ac and heat if needed)
I am willing to experiment with stage II heads. My combo is, on center block Stage II heads a 230/230 street solid roller cam, either 76GTS or GT42/76 turbo and AC driving about 1000 miles a season and see what happens. I have the stage II motor ready to go sitting on my engine stand. I have talked with people that have experience running stage II heads on a street car including Mac, Mike Licht and others. I came to the conclusion that I will no issues as far as running the stage II heads, we will see.
The other reason I went with stage II heads was; I got a nice pair of stage II heads, roller rockers, valve covers and misc for around $750. If I were to get GN1’s with all that it would be around 3K, so it was a no brainer. I was also discouraged by the GN1’s cracking ( the early one’s, I had a set) The valve guide issues and smoking. I know they have come a long way and the GN1R’s pretty darn good.

I know that you can accomplish a lot with GN1 heads, I have seen them deep into the 8’s To get the maximum power out of a stage II heads you need to run a bigger turbo than what you would use on GN1’s. In my case I am not looking to light the world on fire. My objective was price first then everything else.

Bison, I have a great deal of respect for you for what you bring to the table, you are asset to our community. With all my research I am with Mac on this one for my own sake :eek: . We will see.

Just my $.02

Prasad

Prasad,

What are you doing next Saturday?? Maybe I'll bring the car buy your crib if you guys are going to be hanging out. You haven't seen my car in like a decade. :)

Prasad,

What are you doing next Saturday?? Maybe I'll bring the car buy your crib if you guys are going to be hanging out. You haven't seen my car in like a decade. :)

Hey dude, It's great to see you got your beast out! This Saturday 15th I will be home working on GNs, next Saturday the 22nd we have the Midwest Buick meet in Madison WI so we all will be riding out to that. You should bring your car out for that, it will be great.

Prasad

Hey dude, It's great to see you got your beast out! This Saturday 15th I will be home working on GNs, next Saturday the 22nd we have the Midwest Buick meet in Madison WI so we all will be riding out to that. You should bring your car out for that, it will be great.

Prasad

Got a wedding this week otherwise I'd be heading to your place this Saturday.

I'll be sure to be in Madison and will hit you up sometime next week.

Just my $.02

Prasad

Hey, Prasad! I skipped right over your post. Glad to hear it's coming together with your motor.

Just FYI...you may want to look at running a 180 or higher thermostat. Mine wouldn't get warm enough until I switched from the 160. These babies run cold (like the Power Source books said.)

Keep in touch.

Maybe you should define your street car.IMO they suck for a street car. Car will be an absolute pig below 5500. You need much more duration and cam if you have a higher port volume.

6500 is not enough for stage 2 heads. IMO street manners with a solid cam and large turbo that will allow you to start taking advantage of the flow potential will really limit the street manners. You should be able to make 800hp easily with production style heads like the GN1's and 6500rpm.

...and you base your strong opinion on...? Your S2 street car?

Your experiences with a S2 headed street car like mine? That blows the tires away at will? That idles at 800 RPM and passes smog like a new car with 96 lb/hr injectors? That'll run 160 degrees all day in traffic? Check with the guys that saw my car at Bates Nut Farm every year.

I've got big Chapman-ported heads off an ASA car with 2.125/1.625 valves, and I took the cam down to keep velocity up. I'm running an Art Carr 9-inch around 3300 stall and a T-76 BB.

You don't know what you're talking about. I've heard that 5500 RPM crap for years, and it always comes from somebody who has NO experience with it.

That's great to know. Is your stage II headed car is "an absolute pig under 5500 rpm," as he says? Seems like you're happy with your 9.86 true 3700# street car. Sorta proves my point that S2 heads do pretty well in a street car...no?

I've got plenty of work on my Stage II headed car, and I've got plenty of experience and knowledge to back up mine.

Hey Mac, Recently, I bought a Stage 2 TTA with stage 2 heads on it. The guy I bought it from drove it about 500-1000 miles a year on the streets during the summers. He loved it and said it was an animal wherever he was in the rpm range. So, you're not the only one who would disagree with Bison's opinion on this subject...

The target is only 650 hp? Heck, I'm closing in on twice that with heads that flow worse than your proposed smaller heads.

The answer is simple. The small heads will do the job.
If you're looking for the wow factor, slap those Stage II beauties on there!