GN1 spark plugs

Major Nutz

I've always run Autolite 103's but after reading about the AR3933 decided to give them a try. First drive it acted like it had a slight miss under a load. Checked the plug wires and the coil pack and took it back out. The same thing, it would spit and sputter. Swapped back to the 103's and it runs great again! Moral of this story is if it ain't broke,don't fix it.

I used to run the 103s which are a tapered seat plug, (they will gall the heads) ...they performed OK but they are an extended tip plug. I went with gasketed NGKs but they fouled too quickly...
Ended up with AR3933s on the advice of Patrick (Slogn). They run perfect !

Never again will I run the 103s.

What gap were you running on the AR3933s?

Bryan

Too much research online. I read about other buick guys running them. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I gapped them at .030 same as I do all my plugs. Maybe I had a bad 1 in the set, but they all looked pretty black.

Thats a pretty big gap for a stock coil. These plugs are Non extended tip so they do not protrude as far into the head. With my stock coil I ran them at .022, with the TR6 i use them out of the box as is.

Bryan

I've always run Autolite 103's but after reading about the AR3933 decided to give them a try. First drive it acted like it had a slight miss under a load. Checked the plug wires and the coil pack and took it back out. The same thing, it would spit and sputter. Swapped back to the 103's and it runs great again! Moral of this story is if it ain't broke,don't fix it.
Moral of the story is one of the plugs that was put in was likely damaged. We just made several 140+mph passes with those exact plugs for several thousand. I surely wouldn't put in a set of plugs that could be a potential problem when there are thousands of $$$ on the line.They aren't the kind of plug you want to cruise around and idle all day with. They will carbon up and or lead foul easily. There's no plug or gap exact number that's going to make a huge difference in how your car runs. These plugs are typically used when you are over 125 hp per hole and plan in making some hard runs. I don't rec attempting to re-gap them

Last edited:
Anything is possible, I've never had a problem before. Is it possible that the gap was too big? I thought .030 was pretty standard on these motors?

Anything is possible, I've never had a problem before. Is it possible that the gap was too big? I thought .030 was pretty standard on these motors?
We fired them without a problem right out of the box with a stock ignition. A known good stock ignition with an old GM module. 6000rpm and over 800hp

If they don't like low rpm cruising and the occasional spirited run, then they were the wrong plug for me anyway.

The factory gap on the 86's and 87's was a recommended 0.035 gap, but some run slightly tighter gaps and see no issues. Alot of people run either NGK, AC Delco's or Autolites spark plugs with gaps 0.032 - 0.035. Some have had better luck with one of those 3 over another, just don't use platinum plugs and you'll be ok with one of the 3 brands i listed.

AND DO NOT UNDER ANY CONDITIONS EVEN THINK ABOUT E3 plugs. Unless you need one for your lawn mower. And even then I would get a different brand.

AND DO NOT UNDER ANY CONDITIONS EVEN THINK ABOUT E3 plugs. Unless you need one for your lawn mower. And even then I would get a different brand.

I remember when those first came out and I thought they were a gimmick then. Never tried them in anything myself. Do people actually have bad experiences with them?

I remember when those first came out and I thought they were a gimmick then. Never tried them in anything myself. Do people actually have bad experiences with them?
They worked great in my car for about 30 miles. Then I got loud spark knock with hardly any foot in the throttle. I use NGK UR5's now. They just seem shinier and heavier than Delco plugs. Shiny is good, right? I once had an Autolite plug break while accelerating. Heard a loud back fire. It left the plug wire just hanging free with the porcelain part still in it. At least it wasn't hard to diagnose.

They worked great in my car for about 30 miles. Then I got loud spark knock with hardly any foot in the throttle. I use NGK UR5's now. They just seem shinier and heavier than Delco plugs. Shiny is good, right? I once had an Autolite plug break while accelerating. Heard a loud back fire. It left the plug wire just hanging free with the porcelain part still in it. At least it wasn't hard to diagnose.

Good to know :whistle:

I just installed the 3934 was running 104s. Out of the box gap. Running on the street no problems here.

Last edited:
I recently switched from 104s to the AR3933s after reading that extended plugs may not be good based on my build...over 600 hp to the wheel. Have only driven about 25 miles but all seems well. Have not made a WOT run yet.