GN1 or GN1R which would you buy?

jjvites

I was curious what would be the deciding factor between purchasing the GN1 vs. the GN1R version both fully ported for stage 2 big bore block. Besides the further spacing of the valves what other differences or advantages are there between the two. Maybe you guys can choose a break of point in horse power, as an example lets say at 800 hp the GN1R would be a better choice or what ever horspower that it has been your experience.

Thanks,
Marty

Well... there is a new head on the market that seems to be working quite well so far. Consider that as well.

TurboTR

TurboTR said:
Well... there is a new head on the market that seems to be working quite well so far. Consider that as well.

TurboTR

Don't be shy ;) tell us more and why.

thanks,
Marty

TA Heads have a thick deck and Duttweiler likes them.
These are two great reasons.

TurboTR said:

TurboTR

How Well are they Working so Far??............How Fast have they gone, any numbers available :confused:

Just Curious :)

Joe Lubrant said:
How Well are they Working so Far??............How Fast have they gone, any numbers available :confused:

Just Curious :)

I know that he has not blown up a set on the dyno or track yet! ;)
Next time I talk to Margie I will give you a call right after.
I would like to catch up with you anyway, this just gives me an excuse!
Kenny mentioned he could get the heads to flow very well and in his opinion they were the next best thing to Stage 2s.

What numbers are we getting out of the newer GN1s with the raised runners?
I am sure that you and Cal will put them to the test.

John Wilde said:
I know that he has not blown up a set on the dyno or track yet! ;)
Next time I talk to Margie I will give you a call right after.
I would like to catch up with you anyway, this just gives me an excuse!
Kenny mentioned he could get the heads to flow very well and in his opinion they were the next best thing to Stage 2s.

What numbers are we getting out of the newer GN1s with the raised runners?
I am sure that you and Cal will put them to the test.

John,

TurboTR made the post.....I was just wondering if he knew something that wasn't to public yet?? As I said Just Curious.

Don't know any numbers about the new GN-1R's ? Think I'll just run the old ones :biggrin:

No numbers, other than some impressive posted flow numbers and Disco Stu's stock block car running 9.60's with 'em.

TurboTR

Joe,

I am just playing with you.
Send a brother an email or pm please! :D

TurboTR said:
No numbers, other than some impressive posted flow numbers and Disco Stu's stock block car running 9.60's with 'em.

TurboTR

Thanks Todd,

I guess I haven't seen the "Posted Numbers" or familiar with Disco Stu's Stock Block.....or his complete set-up to obtain that performance level.

In any event I guess, I have stirred the pot with TA & Champion loyalist :rolleyes:

Pretty sure Cal, Bamford, & myself will stick with DLS/Champion GN-1R's and play catch me if you can :)

Seriously, at our power levels we will run out of turbo, before we run out of head flow. That goes for either GN-1R's or TA's :eek:

265/205 @ .575 Lift according to TA's Web Site.

From Disco Stu

Intake valve 1.94................/...............Exhaust valve 1.6
28"s
............OTB cfm.....Ported cfm.............OTB cfm.....Ported CFM

.200: ...148...........155........../.............138...........141
.250: ...170...........182........../.............155...........160
.300: ...191...........205........../.............168...........179
.350: ...210...........226........../.............179...........193
.400: ...223...........242........../.............187...........201
.450: ...230...........252........../.............192...........206
.500: ...235...........256........../.............193...........209

Tony O's

100 lift intake 64 exaust 52

200 lift intake 143 exaust 115

300 lift intake 206 exaust 149

400 lift intake 237 exaust 181

500 lift intake 244 exaust 197

Billy T's

Intake
Lift... Before... After
.100... 58.83... 87.27
.200... 108.47... 150.01
.300... 155.64... 203.82
.400... 184.16... 235.35
.500... 195.10... 263.13
.550... 199.49... 269.63
.600... 203.78... 266.40
.650... ---- ... 266.40

Exhaust
Lift... Before... After
.100... 41.60... 49.23
.200... 87.25... 100.20
.300... 120.56... 139.24
.400... 135.43... 184.19
.500... 144.09... 195.14
.550... 145.29... 199.53
.600... 145.29... 203.82
.650... ---- ... 203.82

I have a couple sets of Ported Stage 2s that flow more than 340CFM, so I don't care which of the production heads is better than the other.
Maybe they are so similar it is a matter of brand preference???

Well from what I've seen they appear to be performing well enough to consider the difference more than ~ negilible.

TurboTR

TurboTR said:
Well from what I've seen they appear to be performing well enough to consider the difference more than ~ negilible.

TurboTR

Just for information purposes........If we are making 1240-1250hp Flywheel
how much minimum air flow head wise do you think is required?

Very roughly, about 120 lb/min for 1200 hp. It would be pretty easy to determine better if you posted the inj size (including static fuel pressure setting) and your inj DC (and rpm) at the hp peak. That would give us a pretty good indicator of the fuel flow. Then if we also know the a/f ratio we can calculate the airflow. Why do you ask?

I have a customer in Lubbock who is running mid 9's with the TA heads with a pretty mild combo too. So far I'm impressed enough with 'em in real world performance that I'd buy them for my own ride, given the choice. 'Course it's had GN1R's on it forever though.

TurboTR

So...... back to the original question, Is there an advantage to the R head vs. the standard GN1 other than valve spacing?

I would like to know because I have the full meal deal standard GN1's on my Stage II motor because it is a 3.8 liter block. If I had a 4.1 I would have got the R heads.

V6Power87 said:
So...... back to the original question, Is there an advantage to the R head vs. the standard GN1 other than valve spacing?

I would like to know because I have the full meal deal standard GN1's on my Stage II motor because it is a 3.8 liter block. If I had a 4.1 I would have got the R heads.

From what I can tell from the Champion Web Site all the all the GN1 Heads have the valves moved. The R Heads have a larger valve standard, I am not sure of any other changes.

I keep on hearing about raised runners on the "new" Champion R Heads.
I am not sure if that is a difference in the casting of porting.

V6Power87 said:

Other than that? I'd say no. But a raised runner head- maybe so! Wonder if the intake manifold matches that already too. The old old GN1's on my 3.8L S1 had the intake runners raised with putty all the way out to the plenum. It was alot of work.

TurboTR

Joe Lubrant said:
Thanks Todd,

I guess I haven't seen the "Posted Numbers" or familiar with Disco Stu's Stock Block.....or his complete set-up to obtain that performance level.

In any event I guess, I have stirred the pot with TA & Champion loyalist :rolleyes:

Pretty sure Cal, Bamford, & myself will stick with DLS/Champion GN-1R's and play catch me if you can :)

Seriously, at our power levels we will run out of turbo, before we run out of head flow. That goes for either GN-1R's or TA's :eek:

The GN1R's or the TA heads will get the job done. I have the TA SI heads. They seem to work well. My combo consists of a t70q (not a GT turbo) at 25-26 psi, stock intake, 3" DP, and the stuff in my sig.