GN will not boost more than 16-17 psi with alky kit

14mins

A few years back i installed Razor's alky kit and a TurboTweak alky chip. My car does not boost above 17 psi. I am pretty sure the alky chip was burned for 22-24 psi or that appears to be written on the back of the chip. My reciept from TurboTweak shows that i answered all the questions about, intercooler, injector size, etc and that i intened to run up to 24 psi boost.

I have not made ANY adjustments or changes to the chip since i got it back in 2008. So the chip is as delivered.

All my sensors are within the suggested range and the car purrs like a kittem and runs like a small tiger and not a large tiger. I have an adjustable wastegate, do i need to lengthen or shorten the rod?

On the bright side i got zero KR's at 17 psi. I love the smell of alky mixed with a little grape scent.:biggrin:

if you haven't touched the wastegate rod after you put the new alky chip in then, yes, you will have to shorten the rod to adjust the boost to the 22-24 pound range, the chip won't change the boost for you. every 360 clockwise rotation is roughly one pound of boost. always adjust it one turn at a time to verify you are in the proper boost range, don't want to overboost it.

If you want to increase the boost remember one turn equals one lb of boost just make sure your 02stay above 825 and you should be safe.

Fred

Someone once said shortening the rod shortens the life of the car. Makes it real easy to remember :wink:

I had a vaccum line off on the turbo, i replaced both lines and still only have 16-17 pounds of boost. I also have shortened the waste gate rod all the way. Car runs great, pulls hard, smells great with a little grape scent in the alky but i want to see 20 psi or more on the boost guage. I just want to know i can get there if i need to. :biggrin:

Can this be a issue in my ported elbow? Or where do i need to look. Car runs great all the numbers are good. Maybe i should try my other chip (trasher92?)

I have 136,000 miles on car and have owned it since 1990 and everyt

On a side note make sure your grape additive is for ALCOHOL not petroleum. If you have a petroleum based scented additive it will go in the alcohol pump and swell up the seals and next thing you know your alky pump will leak like crazy. make sure you have the large bottle that says for alcohol not the really small one. the small one is for petroleum. On the other hand if you have the grape scent mixed in your gas tank your ok.

Im betting you have a stock down pipe. I was wondering why I had no spool also so I called up Nick at Arizona GN and picked up one of his pipes and I was blowing the tires off the rims immediately after install. The alky creates so much power that the exhaust volume increases beyond what the stock downpipe and elbow can flow creating a bottleneck. Give him a call you will be happy you did especially if you open up the exhaust cut out that is included. Make sure you pick up one of his boost controllers as well they are in-expensive and not only will you need it but it will make your boost tuning much more easy.

I do not have the stock downpipe, i believe i have a larger pipe made by Blowing Green Customs?? It is a larger pipe for sure, i still have the factory downpipe hanging on the garage wall. Most of my upgrades were done years and years ago.

Maybe a crack in your header? Maybe turbo isn't bolted down tight? Sounds like exhaust is leaking out somewhere and not spinning the turbo like it should. Maybe wastegate is malfunctioning?

No cracked header ( been there, done that years ago), no exhaust leaked. Car runs excellent.

I have been having trouble finding a good place to test the car out. It does appear to gain boost with each gear. 15/16 in 1st, 16/17 in second, 17/18 in 3rd.

All my numbers are good for the point that i am at, i just passed TX emissions a week ago. ( had to do a little tweaking)

I am happy with the way the car runs, pulls and to be honest i probably do not need to see 20 plus pounds of boost. I can light the tires up at will now, i can just imagine that another 6 pounds of boost will get me in trouble with the POPO.

Sounds like you need to buy an HD actuator from precision turbo or one of the vendors.

Can i remove my adj wastegate and wack a 1/2 inch out of it and reweld it?

I have about decided that is the issue, seems like i ordered this adjustable wastegate 10 years ago from Kirbans? or blowing green?

On the bright side, i have zero knock

Can i remove my adj wastegate and wack a 1/2 inch out of it and reweld it?

I have about decided that is the issue, seems like i ordered this adjustable wastegate 10 years ago from Kirbans? or blowing green?

On the bright side, i have zero knock

That isn't your issue. The diaphram can't handle the boost.

Check and recheck for header leaks first. I know you have been there done that but so have I, THREE TIMES.

Jason

Maybe check the contact pattern on the puck??
Think it's the actuator?? Wire the gate closed, and sneak up on the boost. Does it rise higher than what you were able to get B4?
Yes = actuator or it's controller.
No = Look elsewhere.