GN and GNX to return?!

I like that SLP has its hand in this. Because there is a guy on here who has a SLP exhaust setup that sounds like sex. If they help design it I'm betting they put their exhaust on it. But going back to my previous comment. It can't look like the present regal.....no way

Guess this thread is unofficially closed lol...If buick doesn't do the things we all said....then leave the TR where it is......In our hands :D

I hope they just leave it alone. If it cant be a complete Monster of a car, like it was in the 80's then dont mess with it. We all know what happens when you bring an old timer out of retirement to play ball again. Its never as good as it was in its prime.I dont see GM making this car the way it needs to be, to be comparable to itself in 86/87. It would need at least 550+ HP yet be affordable as it was back then too. The planets and stars where all enlined correctly for the GN to be made and produced. We wont be as lucky this time around I fear. If it can be made to be a street monster like the original, then Im all in. If not and its a front wheel drive 200hp abortion then I would have to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Leave the legend alone. Otherwise GM would be doing a grave injustice to the Buick Community and the legacy the GN/GNX have left behind.

Someone that can draw should post up there rendition of what it should look like and then let us critique it and add some changes. Then when the majority here agrees on the final version. Well submit it to GM lol.

I for one doubt it will ever happen.

GM has made that decision on how to position each of the remaining and surviving car divsions, and Buick will not be having a performance car that appeals to the 25-35 demographic.
Chevy is THE GM performance division, even though it is widely accepted that there are more than a few Cadillac variants that have some pretty impressive performance characteristics to compete with the Germans and Japanese luxury brands.

But, should they prove me wrong, the GN would probably not even be a Front drive - Opel / Regal variant, but a Holden / Zeta based platform architecture.
It would basically be a Black Camaro / CTS; with an oval grill; and some fender vents.
What corporate powerplant would be used is a SWAG, but probably the LSA - Supercharged / 6.2L (as used is the Camaro / CTS-V /zeta breatheren)
Big deal - a supercharged engine with almost twice as many cubic inches as it's namesake.
I constantly remind my Hemi "buddies" they ain't got crap - considering they have me out cubic inched by about 2 to 1, and I still make them look silly and asking for a bigger hemi.

Last, and not least - I gurantee that should they ever re-create a GN, it would be priced like a small house; with the payment to go with it.
It will be in the same stratosphere of pricing that the ZL1 and CTS-V is.
Basically, untouchable for the common guy.
Not the quite reasonable prices of 1986/87 that the TR's were.
All the exotic drivetrains and Zeta features are expensive.
Too expensive for this guy.

ForumRunner_20130127_180941.png

Latest article I read on this has it being built on the new Cadillac Ats chassis. The article said that it has been leaked that they will make a t-type and GN with a twin turbo v6. But the rumor that made no sense at all was that the GNX would be built with the lt1, and gm has confirmed that the v8 will fit in the Ats chassis. I hope if they do this they keep with the heart of the original turbo buick being turbo v6's.

Hogwash I say.

A Upscale Buick on an Alpha platform perhaps.

The picture as well as the basic Alpha platform is a 4 door.
Hardly keeping with any lineage to the T-Types or GN's.
I also saw the article describing GM's plans for a Grand National......SEDAN! LOL I spewed my coffee when I read that one.

And I love the way the rumor says it's not even going to be a REGAL.
I don't know about everyone else - but I'm a traditionlist.
Since 86, I've referred to my cars a REGALS and Buick Regal Grand National, Buick Grand Nationals when I'm lazy.
But - I also have a WE4 and I say - It's just a little ole Buick Regal. :D

And then there is all the whispering of a Holden based Coomodore or SS or whatever.
We now need Australia to show us how to build rear wheel drive performance cars.
Geesus.
If it isn't made in Flint or Pontiac (which it can't be since they destroyed those plants) it will never be a Grand National.
It will be just another badged up, All black; GM corporate product.

The Twin-Turbo V6 is referring to the LF3 powerplant that is hotly rumored destined for the ATS-V and the CTS-V.
And I'm sure lots of people wil run right out to buy a Buick GNX with a Chevy motor in it.
Hell, there are already lots of GNs running around where numbskulls have transplanted an LT1 into it, since they couldn't tune a LC2.

Much ado is made of Mark Reuss owning a GNX and that's fine.
But his father even admitted that going the perfomance route with the G-bodies and GN's was a waste of time and energy that should have been spent of improving Buick's standing with their traditional market and improving their basic platforms.
The same situation exisits today.
If they are going to offer an Alpha platformed Buick - that's a good bit of time and energy to blacken one up, do an interior, engineer the powerplant adaptation - for...what...maybe 20,000 units - tops?

I haven't heard what will make this so unique either - sharing the ATS platform, the same engine for the ATS - just different interior and a little firmer tweak on the suspension ?
Sounds like a black Cadillac ATS. With an ovalish grill.
The Grand National of old was unique.
You couldn't sashay over to a Cadillac dealer and buy the same car, but with more chrome.
Or to the Pontiac dealer and buy one with more plastic.
Or Chevy and buy one with more problems.
It was Buick or bust.

They might do this - there have been plenty of whispers and leaks about it.
But how many would they really sell?
Unless they plan to charge ultra premium prices for it, it won't make good sense.
And I have always maintained that even if they do - it will be priced outside of any sane person's budget.
Unless you like 72 months at $600 a month.

They never really sold all that many Grand Nationals, until the word got out that they were going to kill it, then the floodgates opened up.
But they'll be competing in a different world, against the BMW M3's, Audi's, MBs of the world, and that is an entirely different kind of customer.
And the guys that recall the Grand Nationals fondly mostly have grey hair now.
The baby boom demographics have moved on.

At the end of the day - no matter what they do - they won't be able to re-create that magic.
Remember, they made a LeSabre Grand National too - and that didn't work out too well.

I say; if you're into that rounded, sedany; unibody type thing - Go buy a clean; 2002 Regal GS for about 1/20th of the price.
Looks close enough to their new Alpha thing.
And watch it make most performance cars look silly.

We shall see.
But I gave up on Genius Motors a long time ago.
They screwed my once too many times.
Were it not for my TRs, I would not be driving one.
Well - Maybe a CTS-V, which shows how old I'm getting. :)

If SLP is involved they could careless about the bastardization of the GN and GNX name...they have no soul. I had this fight with them back in 07 when they announced the return of the FIREHAWK in the form of a G8....and the Firehawk was their baby...you know if they didnt care about the Firehawk owners they dont care about GN owners. They were even going to offer Firehawk as an appearance package on the base V6 versions of the G8. As the owner of over 18 REAL Firehawks (I owned 3 at the time...two I had bought new in 02) I had it out personally with David Hamburgur about it as well as very very vocaly voicing my outrage as well as the entire F-body community over it...they could careless and went on with it. Saddly but thankfully the death of Pontiac spelt the end for the VERY VERY short run of the bastard firehawks (notice thats with a small f.) It made me so mad I sold all 3 of my Firehawks. So with that said if SLP can make a dollar on it they will do it!

OH and you you know why SLP went bankrupt (the new company is SLP Performance Parts Inc...same people just different INC) they had so many warranty claims on their Firehawks hoods seperating and chrome wheels peeling they just filed bankruptcy and washed their hand of it after production ended. Then reopened under a new corp name. Classy company!!!

My ongoing opinion on this subject has been the same, GM can not build this car for a reasonable price, 90% of the forum members probably don't have the means to purchase a $45K car more less the garage space to house another GN. Most of us has spent the last 10 -12 years keeping our cars in the best condition that we could financially afford, I have 3 GN's and 1 wrecked twin turbo GN , still saving money to get my first "nice" paint job ever. ( Ttop and astro roof seals are on the list too.) Personally I dont care what platform GM would use, I would want a simple stripped down version of a caddy ( or G8) 2dr sedan, no dash frills ( GPS, touscreen stuff) make it optional, cloth black and gray interior ( leather optional), v6 turbo motor with at least 550 hp as mentioned above in another post because if it cant outrun the Camaro, Mustang and your SRT Hemi crowds what's the point. Heck, it would be some hard decisions at home if this car can be made for $35K. Honey I am sorry but the new GN is coming out this year,................( wife's voice) ..you promised to take Johnny to Disneyworld once he was big enough to enjoy the rides.................( 10 min pause) yeah I know but I have been waiting for a new GN for about 17 years,.... I want one, Disney will still be there when I pay it off in 5 years...Johnny's 8 now....This is very close to the actual conversation that I had with my wife when I heard of the new GN plans. Most GN owners of today had came to conclusion that GM wasn't going to build a car that they wanted anymore and purchased Suburbans, Tahoes and Avalanches (or any other family oriented vehicle), completely caught off guard about the rise and success of the Camaro. I fell into this scenario. I have not bought myself a vehicle that I've wanted in 17 years, readers understand what I am saying here, I wanted my first IROC Z , and all of my GN's. Wants vs needs, different story. Nothing that GM built after 87 has piqued my interest. The Typhoons sucker punched me off guard. I found out way too late about those. I bought my wife a 98 Trans Am Ls1 convert and " she" wanted a GTO or newer G8 but that was squashed for an 09 Suburban that she needed for the family. I would bet that every GN owner has a particular color and packaged Camaro that they would love to pounce on around the 2016 mark once the cars have been out for 5+ years and the price has dropped to reasonable levels. I want a solid black 6sp SS or the Inferno orange with the dark gray racing stripes. Aftermarket support has been very nice for the Camaro's over the years. If GM let dealerships overprice it and tack on their dealer markup like they did to the GTO ( a $38k sticker but a sale price of $43k) it will be killed just as fast. My $.02. Sorry for the rants but I am sure (1000% double your money back sure) that every board member has or is currently having a debate like this in their head. They have passed a Camaro or a CTS on their way to work and have imagined the what if..

Someone that can draw should post up there rendition of what it should look like and then let us critique it and add some changes. Then when the majority here agrees on the final version. Well submit it to GM lol.
here you go scott. lol

Attachments

• new_grand_national.jpg
    new_grand_national.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 257
Check out April's issue of car and driver page 39. Talks about the grand national and gnx. Rear wheel drive, gn will have choice of 4-banger turbo, v6, and gnx twin turbo v6.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

trixdout said:
Check out April's issue of car and driver page 39. Talks about the grand national and gnx. Rear wheel drive, gn will have choice of 4-banger turbo, v6, and gnx twin turbo v6.

Post the article......

CGASTON said:
Post the article......

I read it in the physical magazine. Had no luck at all finding a link. But from what I did find googling the article, others are having difficulty finding it online as well.

What they should do is take the G8 chassis shave 2 doors off and put a turbo 6 in it with around 400hp and we can mod it the rest of the way Vette killer from the factory is never going to happen again

Pete Revenidis said:
What they should do is take the G8 chassis shave 2 doors off and put a turbo 6 in it with around 400hp and we can mod it the rest of the way Vette killer from the factory is never going to happen again

Its gotta be square. I don't want a round nose