GN 84 to 87 prof conv T Top $8,000

GNXmike

I looked for over a year to find this car. Initial goal was to have a GNX looking car with leather and T-Tops. I won 10,000 in Vegas and the Performance bug bit me and the 84 engine and drive train got tossed. It is an 84 that i had professionally converted to high output 87 spec. Engine wise, it has EVERYTHING you would modify a GN with in 2005 (hence the street 3255 turbo). I estimate about 375 hp. It has a pte3255 turbo and is plug and play ready for another 100 hp with a new style single or double ball bearing turbo. It pushes 24 psi without any knock, but i run it at 22. Appearently only @ 215 T-Top leather cars still on the road. Lots of good things under the hood and transmission is top quality out of california...and some not so good things everywhere else on a 26 year old car. I bought the car to never sell, and be what i wanted. I paid $6,500 for it as a stock 84 GN, $12,000 invested and converted to GNX trim and 87 spec with a 86 turbo block and upgraded transmission. I'm gonna tell you all the good stuff and grimy details...there will be NO surprises from this car. It was built for me to keep forever. Forced to sell. Check out my profile and albums of this car. Location: Starkville, MS. Phone: 662-418-4094. email:igetallmymail@aol.com

The Good Stuff:
Has modified computer behind kick panel that has hi empedence injectors or something that sounds like that...also this is where the laptop plugs in to run diagnostics and timing, tuning etc.

Complete and proper GNX exterior trim.

I don't know much about turbo cars...so i built with best and most reliable and easy to work on parts. Goal was to end up with a car that i run safely at 85% potential and last forever. Not a ragged out racer.

Leather interior.

Only 500 T-Top and Leather cars made and reportedly only @ 215 still on road.

Air bags in rear for adjusting ride height or racing.

3" exaust

Terry huston down pipe with cut out/dump pipe.

Have pillar and t top pods (not installed)

Turbo and oil pressure gauge ashtray pod

Rides on GTA rims. 4 fronts powder coated black with drilled and extended studs and spacers to proper for gnx stance

T tops bags are there

Have gnx tire rim caps
Have good sound system
Have o2 bung for wideband (not installed)
Wide band MAF (programmable)
4" intake
Pte intercooler
Progressive Alky injection
72. Lb injectors (have factory 36's also)
New fast window motor for driver side door installed
Extender Chip extreme with fast spool and security codes
Exact clone of GNX cosmetically externally except for 3" exaust.

Not so good:
roof liner falling a little in corner
Need bumper fillers
2 Small side windows tints bubbeling
5 mufflers(i like a quiet car...but i have the 2 new GOOD mufflers that came with 3" complete muffler system(the one everyone buys!)
Steering colum clicks down if you pull on it hard with all your weight(like
when adusting your seat)...so don't pull on it like that!
Electric driver seat was replaced with manual seat to lower it 2 inches(i am tall and my head is still in the T-Top cavity).
Small dents on hood(parked under a Pecan tree!!!)
Slightly Scratched driver side t top.
No posittrac(at least you know i haven't been doing doughnuts!)
Speedo sqeeks like a turkey caller about once every 10 times you drive it.
Missing passenger sun visor
Driver door sticky when opening(open handle, pull door,relax door and then open)
Electric lock unlocks pass door only(have to open driver lock by hand)
84 transmission rebuilt TOUGH, but doesn't allow for individual timing adjustment for 2nd and 3rd gear like the 86-87's, only tune for 1st and 4th. (you'll loose 1 to 3 degrees timing in 2nd and 3rd gear).

AND some more BAD STUFF:
Car is currently sick. 6 months ago, car would'nt crank. It had a mystery problem that took months to resolve using non GN mechanics. I found out it was a just bad battery. Now with new battery, car runs fine as a V6 from negative -15 lbs to zero boost...but when boost comes on the car dies until you get off the throttle. I can only assume that is has lost its tune or chip has reset. Probably a small problem easy to fix problem for a knowlegable GN guy. Selling as is. I don't know enough about GN's to trouble shoot, and don't have time or expertise of people around me. i will try to get some buddies in the know to look at it and get it back to the 400 hp car before battery problem. Without posi trac, the car would squel 2nd gear for about 3 seconds going down road.

Attachments

• CIMG0861020.jpg
    CIMG0861020.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,346
  • DCP_4750.jpg
    DCP_4750.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,346
  • DCP_4748.jpg
    DCP_4748.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,346
  • 06_4.jpg
    06_4.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,338
  • 27_4a.jpg
    27_4a.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,344
just my opinion

i think you may wanna go farther down on the price for $8000 i can buy a gn with lil problems.

Only 215 on the road? I better get mine going then! Nice car.. Sorry to hear about the problems. TTT

Found Cure!!! Its in Valet MODE!!!!

Car has been in Velet Mode all this time! It 'cuts out' when boost comes on and progressive Alky kit won't inject. i've been trouble shooting the car for 6 months. I guess the bad battery put the chip in Valet mode...or maybe i did and forgot.

I'm Reducing the price to $6,500.

$6,500 should move the car and help new owner with some changes he might wish to make.

The dash is charcoal black. The interior is different in 1984...it had a leather and tan on black colors vs the gray on black for 85-87. I liked it better than the gray.

Sounds like you have a bad coilpack.

find a buddy with a CP tester or just swap with some one to test.

car looks nice!

Sounds like a good price for a nice car. The "issues" are really no big deal. The turkey gobble squeak is most likely the rubber hood stopper up near the firewall. The hood rests on it. When it gets dried out, the vibration causes the noise. Dab a little vaseline on it and the problem will be gone...

The replacement visor is easy to find and attach- Probably less than $20. and a headliner re-cover is like $100.00- You may want to address as many small things on the car as you can so that the "bad" isn't so bad after all...

BTW, the steering wheel is also a pretty easy fix as well. There's a few write-ups on this board for your use.

The more you fix, the more you can reasonably expect to get for the car...

Just my .02

My car currently needs stripped and interior redone, pretty sure that will cost me more then $6500. Which makes this tempting..... how good is the body/paint on this car? Your seats look to be in great shape btw.

Chuck

The car runs fine now...it was in Valet mode on the computer chip all this time. It holds 15 lbs now without the Progressive Alky(which activates but isn't injecting). I don't see any rust. I added new pics in my albums and on youtube: search for "airrecoil".It runs 24 lbs with no knock when alky is on. Car comes with 84 hurricane rims and rubber, as seen in the pre-GNX pics in my albums. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/mem...ke-albums.html Youtube video at YouTube - airrecoil's Channel