GM Disbands High Performance Vehicle Operations

This could actually be decent news. They aren't throwing the hipo people out the door. They're moving them to other areas to weather the storm. If the economy makes a turn (obama's in office, it could be tomorrow;)) and gas stays low, these guys could be back make hipo cars quickly.

Getting rid of the Cobalt would be a bad idea, redesigning it would be smarter. Do you think Mitsubishi is going to ditch the EVO all of a sudden?

What's with ditching cars with 4 cylinder turbo's, that's what the new V8 is going to turn out to be anyways. :confused:

"All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold. The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs."

Maybe we can get a couple of them over to Buick and they can get a RWD Buick touring car together. Then I might be willing to part with some money and buy one.

FWD S U X !!!

Pontiac division don for??

Not only that it seems like Pontiac division is done for along with Saturn, Saab, and Hummer.

Man I was thinking of buying a G8 GT!

Well, they had to submit a plan for turning the company around. That plan can't exactly have a hi performance group since that isn't the way that things are going. The "Car Czar" would probably frown on that. They can still do the high performance stuff, they just don't want a whole department for it. They have to show that they are going to change to meet the current demand. Right now, the bigger demand is more for economic, not performance.

Although, I think the people that can squeeze every little bit of horsepower out of a big engine, are just the ones to figure out how to do it out of a small engine. Which will give you ok performance, but out of a gas sipper.

Oh yeah.........I agree!

FWD sucks!

If only people would learn to drive, they wouldn't need FWD to get out of their driveway when we get an inch of snow.

Although, I think the people that can squeeze every little bit of horsepower out of a big engine, are just the ones to figure out how to do it out of a small engine. Which will give you ok performance, but out of a gas sipper.

I agree with the nutjob above that drives a trubo wagon:)

Hmmm - we all drive GN's with "tiny" V6s not carbed 454/7.4L V8s...

This all due to electronics that saved us from the last time muscle cars were "killed", electronics will let us do it in the future as well.

So what if engines are ~2-3 liters as long as they make power - heck, give me an electric motor if it is fast.

I read somewhere that the cobalt turbo was one of the most underrated cars. Told one of my rice coworkers to look at it. He wouldn't have anything to do with it and bought a RSX type S. I have to say it is a much better looking car than the cobalt, but would get waxed by the cobalt. They need to design better looking 4 bangers.

Not only that it seems like Pontiac division is done for along with Saturn, Saab, and Hummer.

Man I was thinking of buying a G8 GT!

Pontiac won't be gone completely, it is being relegated to niche status. So ink up and go get the G8, but consider the GXP instead.....its only money!!!!:biggrin:(16 G8s in stock)

I agree with the nutjob above that drives a trubo wagon:)

Hmmm - we all drive GN's with "tiny" V6s not carbed 454/7.4L V8s...

This all due to electronics that saved us from the last time muscle cars were "killed", electronics will let us do it in the future as well.

So what if engines are ~2-3 liters as long as they make power - heck, give me an electric motor if it is fast.

While not carbed my wife's daily is a 454/7.4L Suburban. It gets 13 mpg around town and I'm happy with that.

I've never owned a 4 cyl car and probably wouldn't have a V6 if it weren't for the Turbo Regal/Grand National. Can't even say I'd consider one.

I like(Make that NEED) Power and am willing to pay the price. I bought one FWD and it was a Buick('91 Regal GS) and I'll NEVER own another FWD car. 4wd yes, FWD NO!

If they won't build what I want then I refuse to part with my money. High performance, rear wheel drive and enough room to travel in style or nothing for me.