Glovebox Lock Removal Video

X Ray

The GNX changed my life!
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
The video is as described, but I made the video for installing a bracket in the glove box for adding additional aftermarket parts. But if you need to remove the lock for any reason this is for you..... enjoy....

Good info!:cool:
??. The outer knob on my box turns freely, and will not open the latch. In order to open, I need to use the key. Something sheared off, or????

Greg, last time I had that problem, I took the box to the lock smith. He inserted a "reader" into the lock, and read the tumbler. He then punched a key for me...

I'm really not looking for another key. My dilemma is that I bought a real cherry glove box ass'y from a swap vendor at the Nats in 2011 and would like to swap it for the one in my car. So, I was just wanting to swap the lock cylinders. It may be easier to just repaint my stock one. :confused:

X Ray said:
The video is as described, but I made the video for installing a bracket in the glove box for adding additional aftermarket parts. But if you need to remove the lock for any reason this is for you..... enjoy....

YouTube Video

You can get the one with no key out, just gotta get a toothpick and push the pins down as you pull the cylinder out. Actually easy once you do it.

What if u have no tumblers in your lock like me!!! What can I do. I just falls out.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What if u have no tumblers in your lock like me!!! What can I do. I just falls out.

I would take one out of another glove box and and use it.
Or take it to a locksmith and get the new lock keyed alike with your keys.

I was told the codes are for ALL the keys that came with the vehicle. Is this true?

On mine, the locks are different. So, 1 code would not work.
Are you saying there is more than 1 code on the g/box lock?
AIRC, the door and ign are the same.

"You can get the one with no key out, just gotta get a toothpick and push the pins down as you pull the cylinder out."
I guess I'm a Putz, as I've tried for an hr to do this......Nada, zip.
I guess it's off to the locksmith.

On mine, the locks are different. So, 1 code would not work.
Are you saying there is more than 1 code on the g/box lock?
AIRC, the door and ign are the same.

"You can get the one with no key out, just gotta get a toothpick and push the pins down as you pull the cylinder out."
I guess I'm a Putz, as I've tried for an hr to do this......Nada, zip.
I guess it's off to the locksmith.

I don't know. My glove box cylinder has nothing on it. No codes. And you said door and ignition is the same key? Which door? The human doors or the glove box door?

Door, trunk, and glove box is same key. The ignition is separate by itself.
The glove box lock cylinder uses only the first four of six cuts of the door key.

For almost two years I used a small bent screwdriver to push down the latch in my glove box to open it, what a PITA! My key would turn the lock but not activate the latch, after watching the video, I pulled the cylinder out, removed the latch assembly, and cleaned and lubed it all up, reassembled it and it works like a charm now! Didn't realize it was that easy to remove and fix. Kinda nice to use the trunk popper now! Lol..great video!!! Sometimes its the small things that make you feel like you win!

Great info. Rick. I'm removing the inside box so I can relocate the ECM to that space. I was fighting it until I saw your video. Thanks.