getting ready to pull engine?

josh rosaaen

im in the process of pulling my engine and have a few questions. i believe i got everything unhooked.
1.) wheres the best place to hook the hoist?
2.) how many bolts are there on the bellhousing? i removed 6 looks like its all of them but cant see to good.
i removed the bolts from the fly wheel/torque converter. i got the grounds on the passenger side head unplung the injector harness i got everything off the front of the engine. unhooked fuel lines and unbolted the motor mounts. removed intercooler, alternator and tensioner. unbolted ac compressor and tied it to the side and the same with the powersteering. i think i got everthing unplugged have the wiring harness pulled all the way back to the fire wall. i pulled the turbo all the way out. got the exhaust cross over. anything major i need to get off besides any little wires i have to watch for.

Best place to hook a hoist is to have a motor pulling plate bolted on in place of plenum. If thay is not an option, you can run a chain or strap from the loop on the front passenger side of intake to the hole on the back of the block near bell housing. Another option is a strap through the air gap of the intake.
6 bolts hold the trans to the engine.
Make sure your starter wiring is unhooked.
Make sure the knock sensor is unhooked at the top back of block.
There should be a bolt holding the wire harness to the intake under the coil pack unless someone left it off previously.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ok thanks I believe I got it all I pulled the starter the knock sensor was just hanging there from previous I'm sure. I pulled the coil pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"the knock sensor was just hanging there from previous I'm sure"
Don't suppose that is the root cause of the brgs being beat out??

Ok thanks I believe I got it all I pulled the starter the knock sensor was just hanging there from previous I'm sure. I pulled the coil pack

Support the trans if your are not pulling it out with the engine. John

"the knock sensor was just hanging there from previous I'm sure"
Don't suppose that is the root cause of the brgs being beat out??
It was plugged in just not mounted. The knock sensor was working fine though as far as I know it went off in the past just minimal knock though

It was plugged in just not mounted. The knock sensor was working fine though as far as I know it went off in the past just minimal knock though

The sensor has to be screwed into the block and properly torque to function properly.

What Robert said........
It went off cause it was bouncing around on the end of the wire.:eek:

The sensor has to be screwed into the block and properly torque to function properly.

Ok the knock was hooked up right I unplugged it. It wasn't the knock sensor hanging it was something else not sure what it was

put the hook damn near touching the plenum and you won't have to remove the hood.

Does the turbo need to be removed to pull the engine or it just makes things easier. I will be pulling my engine out soon as well. Trying to gather as much as I can.

Don't forget the ground strap on the back of the drivers side head to the firewall if you haven't already gotten that one.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1405031033.474099.jpg

Does the turbo need to be removed to pull the engine or it just makes things easier. I will be pulling my engine out soon as well. Trying to gather as much as I can.
the turbo doesnt have to be removed just unhooked from the downpipe i pulled mine just to give me more room to see and im sending my engine off and putting a different turbo o

Am I crazy to not want to use the plate? I'm scared of holding all that weight in aluminum..

Am I crazy to not want to use the plate? I'm scared of holding all that weight in aluminum..
^^^^Me too.Those holes strip out easy enough just tightening down the plenum.I'll stick with a chain bolted to the heads.:eek:

Serpentine belts under the headers
Ive done over
30 motor and tranny combos
Easy in easy out
Will post pics if necessary

When only pulling the motor
I use my trusty home made
Plate with grade 8 bolts
Made it 20 yrs ago before going to belts a few yrs back

Attachments

• 1405055920526.jpg
    1405055920526.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 1405055944800.jpg
    1405055944800.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 1405055962128.jpg
    1405055962128.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 218
use the threads on the exhaust manifold studs and use a chain. learned this method from bison in my early days and it works great there are already nuts there to reuse to hold the chain on from the dipstick and the support bracket for the ac pump. used this method once again today helping assist somebody reinstall a engine works like a charm. hood was still on car too just propped up with a broom handle once we unhooked hood shocks from their brackets