Getting F Body alum rad/ Got some?????'s

TMGN

Going with an Fbody rad in my 86 GN.How much weight savings is this?Does it cool any better?How did everyone do the oil and trans cooler lines??/Thanks Tony

Do a search. Some people had their tanks turn green. Buy the BeCool universal for GM ($300-Summit) and buy a dual PermaCool cooler with fan. Awesome setup.

GNICETRY said:
Do a search. Some people had their tanks turn green. Buy the BeCool universal for GM ($300-Summit) and buy a dual PermaCool cooler with fan. Awesome setup.

Yes, please do a search. That's a new one on me. Maybe you're not talking about the aluminum unit w/ plastic tanks. How do plastic tanks turn green? All I've ever heard on many posts about it, was raves about the F-body unit. Probably at least 10lbs lighter if not more. I have the F-body unit and it definitely cools better than the stock unit. I'm using a Permacool dual pass trans/engine oil cooler. Had longer oil cooler lines made up with proper ends for cooler.

I've never heard of the tank turning green either...maybe the brass tanks? You need to get the black plastic tanks. I have this same radiator in my car for now 2 years and it has worked flawless. My car runs at 162 degrees on the highway in mid 90's heat 100% humidity with a PTE front mount! This radiator which is $120 and the dual fans from ramchargers $80 and a 160 degree thermostat and you are good to go as far as cooling system.

I don't run an oil cooler because I let my motor cool the oil and also I run a standalone trans cooler with it's own fan on it down at the bottom of the car where the stock intercooler scoop used to go.

I'm going to try this F-bod radiator too. I think the 4 core I am using now is killing airflow.

I found the radiator over on rockauto.com for less than $100 with a couple of different brands to choose from.

I would make sure the one you get is for the Z-28. There are a couple. One has a narrower core. Maybe someone could someone provide a number for you. ??????????????? :cool:

i just bought a All star performance rad/ from ramchargers. 200.00
bought the fans also 80.00, and i bought an oil cooler. 38.00
i got 1/2' hose, and cut the cooler so the ends wehre also 1/2'. I cut off the org/ oil cooler hoses and just sliped the hose over the 1/2' pipe parts.
I'm all so mounting them in the tunnel for the org inter cooler. Also getting a small fan for them.

Attachments

• Pictures 196.jpg
    Pictures 196.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 68
  • oil cooler.JPG
    oil cooler.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 55
I got the f-body rad today.Thinking of deleting oil cooler.Can you do this if running a turbo saver???Thanks for the great replies!!!

yes
in the
86 fbody rad , turbosaver and no oil cooler , dual fans
RMI25 and distilled ,CAS-V2 FMIC ,seperate tranny cooler between FM..... no cooling issues ,164 is about all it sees driving , 170s under boost at the top

oil lines run straight from the adapter at pump to the turbosaver and then back ,

no ac condenser

well I did it over the weekend. installed a "trans pro" F bod radiator. paid $118 from local parts store.

-stock fan
-PTE oil filter turbo saver
-no oil cooler
-big 11"x11" Hayden trans cooler mounted horizontally between bumper / core support
-PTE front mount

it was 102F ambient in Chicago this weekend. Car ran a smidge under 180F with the A/C off, 200F with the A/C on. About 10F cooler than the 4 core was getting me.

I was very happy with the fit. The radiator dropped right in. Probably 20 lbs lighter than the 4 core too.

gonna go with a ramcharger dual fan to complete the system.

Hi,
My Regal never gets above 180 with a stock radiator and fan and a 160 tstat. I had the radiator fabricated using the original right side tank, still 3 core though.Unless you are really into weight savings, I can't see the reason to go to all this trouble. I'm just waiting for my TTA aluminum job to start leaking. At 100K, it's about due. Side tank gaskets are the usual, though the tanks themselves crack frequently too. A well maintained cooling system will delay that though.My 86 Firebird unit crapped out at 110K, replaced it with a nice Canadian built metal one, no more worries. We are talking 10 pounds difference here. Nuff said...

I swapped over to an F-body rad last year and it works awesome. With Ramchargers dual fans, 160 stat, B+M suipercooler for the oil it never exceeds 180 withn the air on... Best bang for the buck deal going. TBF

Are the trans coolers good on these rads or should I go aftermarket?Thanks Tony

TMGN said:
Are the trans coolers good on these rads or should I go aftermarket?Thanks Tony

it looks like a regular stock type trans cooler. could be used but would still need to be backed up by a nice big one.