Getting a title for a car (without a title) in NY

NASSTY

Hopefully I can explain this without too much confusion.OK I may be selling a car to someone in NY but the car has no title.The reason the car has no title is because in Maine there is no title required for vehicles 15 years old or older.So if you buy a car that is already 15 years old you can't even apply for a title in ME.That is the case with this car.I bought it when it was 15 years old and the seller signed the title over to me, but the DMV wouldn't let me send the title in to apply for a new title because the car was already 15y.o..However on the back of the Maine registration you can sign the registration over to a new owner.
So if I sell the car to someone in NY how can they go about getting a title for the car when I don't have a valid title to sign over to him?Or is a title nessesary in NY on a vehicle now 23 years old?I can give him a bill of sale and sign the registration over to him but I can't provide him with a title.
Any info would be appreciated. :confused:

I bought a bike with no title, went through a title company that sent me a New Hampshire registration. I took that registration to the Maryland DMV and they knew just what to do and issued me a title. I believe I had a bill of sale but unless it's notarized it means diddly squat.

So it should be no problem.

It may work but get all the info from ure states dmv and give it to the guy. Might as well get a notorized letter as well. Of course make sure sign it over.

Hopefully I can explain this without too much confusion.OK I may be selling a car to someone in NY but the car has no title.The reason the car has no title is because in Maine there is no title required for vehicles 15 years old or older.So if you buy a car that is already 15 years old you can't even apply for a title in ME.That is the case with this car.I bought it when it was 15 years old and the seller signed the title over to me, but the DMV wouldn't let me send the title in to apply for a new title because the car was already 15y.o..However on the back of the Maine registration you can sign the registration over to a new owner.
So if I sell the car to someone in NY how can they go about getting a title for the car when I don't have a valid title to sign over to him?Or is a title nessesary in NY on a vehicle now 23 years old?I can give him a bill of sale and sign the registration over to him but I can't provide him with a title.
Any info would be appreciated. :confused:

Sounds like in your state the regi acts like the title.
My 68 here in NY has NO title I would just sign the DMV issued REGI (not the copy I drive around with;) ) and give it to the new owner.

BTW the NY DMV would be able to look up your states law and act accordingly.

Just ask how I know!!!!

Thanks for the info guys. :)

I guess it's not as complicated as I thought it may be.

It's not difficult at all. I bought a 70 Lemans from a guy in Alabama. They don't require titles for old cars either. All I needed was the seller's registration and a notarized bill of sale. It was a piece of cake.