Gen7 log...RPM related....

Any updates ski????????????????????????????? :confused:

norbs said:
Any updates ski????????????????????????????? :confused:

yeah I put up a nice post of information after you commented about having nice looking graphs on Sunday, but those posts seems to have vanished, unless I was mistaken...but I did not drink any this weekend. :D

I took the car to a test and tune and the car definately picked up ET/MPH. It went 10.54@130+ a few times on much worse 60' times. So the miss from the wire had to be those gains.

However the RPM thing is still happening. Its nuts,.,.,.I am out of ideas. And I know its hurting performance- cause I think I can see it in my tach too. But its hard to tell when your zipping down the strip no matter how much I try to keep one eye on the tach and one on the track.

I tried to call Accell a few times today, but just got answering machines.

Here are some videos of the car from this weekend. The traction was horrible and I lost almost .1sec just there alone, and my car usually gains or looses 2.5x what it gains or looses in the 60' at the end of the track. So these runs should have been in the 10.4s range without a doubt, maybe high 30s.

That is what is more boggling than anything the car doesn't seem to miss a beat from start to finish and it pulls like a freight train. :confused:

I am open for ideas. Most of this week is going to be consumed installing a newer version of my motor in another guys vette that is having me do the work. It should run even better than mine, since we did some things to lighten up the assembly and some other little things. ;)

Keep the ideas coming as to what it could be.

Here are the videos of the car...I had a great time with the family and my little cheering section...my 3 kids. :cool:

http://www.azzatochips.com/videos/Beaver05/Beav10_56.wmv

http://www.azzatochips.com/videos/Beaver05/Beaver10-54.mpg

http://www.azzatochips.com/videos/Beaver05/Beaver10-56_2.mpg

I called it quites when the rear started to make some noise. Upon inspection its pretty obvious what the problem was. I actually crushed the U-joint caps and the rollers into pieces! And if you ever tried to do anything to a u-joint cap, they are about as hard as they can be at a rockwell of 58-60. They are pretty damn tough...so the car has to be making some power somehow.

Help me get that RPM things straightened out! lol. :) Thanks for the interest in getting it figured out.

Hope you sort it out. Usually the u joints only last about 3 passes on a vette we had up here, the needle bearings turn into powder. Think it was around 1400 rwhp. You might of heard about the yellow sub 8 second vette daily driver from speedway racing here in toronto. Lose the IRS

Little update. Have the crank trigger on order....tried to get the mallory one, but its on major backorder, so I went with a MSD kit.

Figured if I went this far, I might as well go sequential injection .....just not real sure how to do all that. Figure I can use my distributer output for the cam signal...any ideas on how to do this... :confused:

TOok the car out again this past weekend to some local dragraces. Dads Chevelle was the quickest there, and I was second quickest.. ;) Its a LOT of fun. :cool:

Well I wanted to give you guys an update for those of you that were/are following this thread.

I got my crank trigger installed about 1 week ago, but had to finish up another guys car before I could focus on fixing the rear end on mine that keeps crushing the u-joint bearings.

Well last night I finished up the repairs that I did and naturally it was raining outside so I did not get a chance to test it.

I took the car out today and low and behold with the addition of the crank trigger the car's reported RPM is silk smooth!

So I wanted to not only finish up this thread with a followup, hate reading through threads that have troubleshooting and they never conclude on if it worked or not, so I wanted to say this one was solved with the MSD crank trigger addition. :cool:

Also I wanted to thank Norbs, aDFIguy, and the others that offered their time to suggest these things. I also wanted to thank Craig and Mike at Accel for their help, and taking and returning my phone calls. Again thanks guys!

Now I am chopping at the bit to get it to the track. Craig thought it would pick up .2sec with the RPM straightened out, and the car does feel much smoother at WOT....but the proof is in the pudding. :)

Going to try to hit the track Tuesday night.

Thanks again guys!

Bit by the DFI bug

Glad you got it sorted out. Hope it runs well and update us. I have run into a few set backs my self. It appears i got a virus into my laptop and it corrupted my gen 7 programs, it shut off my iac, and set my firing order to 0000000. I even tried a different laptop and it still did not work, as the corrupt file was in the ecu already,and ran into communication errors constantly. I finally tried an older verison of calmap, and got some communicatoin going and managed to get the corrupt file out the ecu. I then formated my other laptop, reinstalled everything and its fine so far. However i did lose about a week to figure this out., and some more gray hairs!

Norbs. Again thanks!

Virus! Yikes, never really thought about that. Wonderful. :(

At any rate, yeah I am hoping to seek it out to the track tomorrow night. I did a few blasts with it last night and it feels great.

Just hope the rear holds up - I hope craig was right with the .2sec increase, now seeing my logs if might not be too far off. A 10.1 sec pass in the heat would have me pretty pumped up! Fall weather that would be good for an easy 9sec pass. :cool:

But as I always say the proof is in the pudding. :D

You should be running a more agressive timing in first gear and then use the nos settings to retard it a bit in the other gears. The car will pickup in the 60' for sure. I can easliy see a 9 sec pass happening :p

norbs said:
You should be running a more agressive timing in first gear and then use the nos settings to retard it a bit in the other gears. The car will pickup in the 60' for sure. I can easliy see a 9 sec pass happening :p

Not sure I want to gain any more in the 60'! Already puking out 1350 series u-joints like the speed of light! :eek:

I am honestly thinking about detuning it a little, but what fun is that! :mad:

The car is so fun to drive cause it is so consistant, and predictable, the only uncertainty in the race is whether it will make it out of the hole without a loud band. :rolleyes:

Heading out to the garage to get the car ready for tomorrow night at Pittsburgh. Wish me luck! ;)

Send me the logs after your done, picking up the parts :eek:

norbs said:
Send me the logs after your done, picking up the parts :eek:

AHHH dude, don't say that! I am very hesitant to even take it, but that is what it was built for! :) :confused: :( :confused: Can you see have mixed feelings!

Having some solid rear components checked on as we speak ;)

Is ski alright? Where are the datalogs???????

norbs said:
Is ski alright? Where are the datalogs???????

All here is fine and good. The car survived about 9 passes last night with no rear component failures. :) So perhaps the cryogenics treatment fixed the problem.

The car ran about the same. Although the weather was pretty poor, up over 4000 DA at times. The track was pretty greasy and my slicks started showing some signs they have had enough. So its off to Summit for some new ones. Always something. :rolleyes:

The logs look MUCH better, as seen here.

lastRUNKeystone7-19.JPG

Upon seeing exactly where I am shifting and what I am going through the traps at, I believe my new converter is WAY too loose for my motor. I am going through the traps at ~6400 RPM, but only at 126MPH (yesterday). This means I am getting ~11% slippage! That is way way too much, should be around 3%, based on my converter last year and my buddy similiar setup.

I am going to call Rosslertrans this morning and see what he might have to say about the converter. I might have to have it sent back in for some tightening.

Take a look at the log and let me know what you think.

my rpm's are all choppy like that using a dual sync distributor......do you guys think thats an issue?.......also how did you capture the data log screen ?

idaho gn said:
my rpm's are all choppy like that using a dual sync distributor......do you guys think thats an issue?.......also how did you capture the data log screen ?

Choppy like my original post of my problem, or choppy like the last one I posted?

Well again, there are a few prime suspects here. 1) The signal polarity may simply be backwards from the sensor. This could cause the input zero crossing detection circuit to trigger erratically (and around the wrong spot), since it would not arm properly, and then would trigger on the wrong edge of the sensor pulse. That wrong edge also happens to be trailing off with a gentle slope rather than a sharp edge like it should be, which is where the erratic part comes from. To me, this is the prime suspect, based on the symptoms 2) The output level of the sensor may not be appropriate for the gain settings of the input. Either the sensor air gap or the gain settings would have to be adjusted. 3) Maybe the sensor is somehow ground referenced in a way that makes the input to the circuit very noisy. Just taking a wild guess there. But those are some of the things we would look at to try and finger out why it isn't working correctly.

TurboTR

nope the dist is wired properly thats been checked multi times (unless the dist is screwd up internaly) i dont think the air gap is adjustible .......and i dont have room for a crank trigger (wish i did)

Well it could be that the "+" sign on the sensor wires is actually the "-" and vice versa :) The only way to find out would be to scope it (and also know what the input circuit expects); or just try reversing the sensor polarity and see if it cleans up. If you try this (I would), know that you will have to carefully readjust the crank ref angle in the ecu sw to get it to time correctly again.

TurboTR

ive hooked up a scope ( got the info from craig) and verified all is good there but did not switch them just because .........also im not using any crank ref offset .....its at zero