G'day from downunder.

O

Ozedan

G'day all.
First off unfortuantly I don't own a GNX turbo. :-( Although I do own a 93 Holden Commodore Wagon with a non turbo 3800 V6 engine(Buick). And its RWD. I am really considering turbocharging my beast. After reading about the GNX's I have been really impressed with the power output and performance that these beasts. Since I would have a real hard time getting a GNX I would go for the next best thing my VP commy. Also Turbocharged 3800 V6's are extreamly rare too in Australia so I would love to be different. My VP wagon looks similar to this http://www.uq.net.au/~zznweber/commodore/vp/vp-s.html

Although mine is red and has different wheels.

I would like to get at least 400 hp out of it and bucket loads of torque. Any idea's and tips on converting a standard 3.8 V6 to turbocharged/intercooled beast would be great.

P.s. Its also Auto so I would need to beef up the transmission so it can handle the power. Its a 4 speed auto.

CHeers guys. :cool:

Ozedan,

That would be a neat conversion! You may also want to consider swapping in a supercharged 3800. Check out www.thrashercharged.com I believe they have coaxed near 400 hp out of the s/c 3800. Good luck. Also check out www.turbobuicks.com they have a section devoted to 3.8 turbo swaps.

Mike

Great thanks Mike I will check the links out.
Much appreciated. :)

Originally posted by Ozedan
Although I do own a 93 Holden Commodore Wagon with a non turbo 3800 V6 engine(Buick). And its RWD.
How is it that the land down under avoided the front-wheel drive plague anyway? :confused:

Re: Re: G'day from downunder.

Originally posted by MeanBuicks
How is it that the land down under avoided the front-wheel drive plague anyway? :confused:

Just lucky I guess and demand where it calls it. The only large RWD manufacturers in Oz is Ford and Holden. Other makes like Toyota, and Mr bishi and Honda are mostly FWD crud.

Ozedan, sounds like a cool project! You guys got some cool cars down there. At least we'll be able to sample one of those Holdens with the new GTO they've been talking about.

Good luck with your project! :)

Steve

Mad Max lives!Cool.:D That sounds like it could be a cool rig when it's done.What's your compression ratio on that engine?

Originally posted by Black Box
Ozedan, sounds like a cool project! You guys got some cool cars down there. At least we'll be able to sample one of those Holdens with the new GTO they've been talking about.

---
Yup its going to be a beast over there. And also aftermarket modifications should be easy since most of you all are well known to the LS1 engine. I think its going to be a hit. :)

Good luck with your project! :)

---
Thanks Steve.

Steve

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
Mad Max lives!Cool.:D That sounds like it could be a cool rig when it's done.What's your compression ratio on that engine?

----
Here is the basic engine specs of mine (non turbo)

Capacity: 3.791L
Induction: multipoint EFI
Valvetrain: overhead valves, 2 valves / cylinder
Bore x Stroke (mm): 97.0 x 86.0
Compression ratio: 8.5:1
Maximum Power: 127 kW @ 4800 RPM <----- might be 130 kw now since having slight exhaust system mods and cold air intake installed.
Maximum Torque: 293 Nm @ 3600 RPM <----- 296 nm maybe now.

I had another brain storm last night, maybe putting one of them M90 Eaton superchargers as well as turbocharging the beast. I don't know how well its going to go with that combination since it would be more complex than a standard turbo intercooled installation. :)

Originally posted by Ozedan
G'day all.
First off unfortuantly I don't own a GNX turbo. :-(

Since I would have a real hard time getting a GNX I would go for the next best thing my VP commy. CHeers guys. :cool:

Few people own a GNX turbo, few indeed. And almost everyone here would have a hard time getting one too. How about Gn's and T-Types, do you guys have any of those? There were fewer than 600 GNX's made, but considerably many more Gn's, T-Types, etc. Oh..and Cheers mate!

Forget the supercharger,they suck up too much H/P.You could get a super charged engine for a wrecker's and turn it into a turbo config. using the N/A intake and a G/N style exhaust system and turbo[maybe a nice 61' would do it with room to spare].

Holden Special Vehicles

HSV is Holden's (a GM unit) equivalent of Ford's SVT/SVO. The cars are all RWD (or at least were when I found this site long ago) and many SEDANS run on Chevy LT-1 engines!

My faves include the Maloo (a funky El Camino-type car) and the R8.

My guess is that the new GTO will be based on an HSV Coupe since they already call it a GTO!

http://www.hsv.com.au/main.html

Re: Holden Special Vehicles

Originally posted by bakerlaw67
The cars are all RWD (or at least were when I found this site long ago) and many SEDANS run on Chevy LT-1 engines!

I think you mean LS1's. Big difference as nothing is the same except the L and the 1.