Gary is in charge while I'm gone.

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
Heading out to that great expanse, of almost endless race track known as the Bonneville Salt Flats.
As some of you may already know. Speed Week is almost upon us. This will be the first time in three years. I'll be wrenching on three 300 + mph vehicles. I'll try to drop a few pics here as things unfold. Rumor has it that this year the salt is very hard and fast. Many people are saying that this is the year that some old records will fall. I plan on being there when it happens. In fact, I may be part of it if I'm lucky. :)

Wish us luck.

Mike Barnard

Last edited:
Very cool.

Good luck.

D

BTW
Anthony Hopkins rules. Movie looks good.
Still love that movie he did with the dead fall to kill the bear. Amongst many others.

May God Bless & protect everybody from their leaving
home, through the race events, & their safe return home.

Good Luck Mike and be safe. If you run into Don Ferguson's group, tell Mike "jelly bean" Cook to get his ass home by Sunday or I'll be working with some other old man...:D

Gary, I'll be on my best behavior while you're in charge....can't say the same about Lou :eek:

Gary,

Good to hear you'll be filling in for Mike while he's gone. Glad to hear they fixed the wifi at the retirement home. :p

Neal

Last edited:
Heading out to that great expanse, of almost endless race track known as the Bonneville Salt Flats.
As some of you may already know. Speed Week is almost upon us. This will be the first time in three years. I'll be wrenching on three 300 + mph vehicles. I'll try to drop a few pics here as things unfold. Rumor has it that this year the salt is very hard and fast. Many people are saying that this is the year that some old records will fall. I plan on being there when it happens. In fact, I may be part of it if I'm lucky. :)

Wish us luck.

Mike Barnard

So it's back to Matlock and afternoon Naps?

Gary,

Good to hear you'll be filling in for Mike while he's gone. Glad to hear they fixed the wifi at the retirement home. :p

Neal

Neal:
Right now I would be welcoming kicking back in the retirement home. I had a
toenail infection that turned into a toe infection that turned into a three toe infection
& a left foot infection. I lost 3 toes and a significant portion of my left foot. Am now
hooked up to something called a Wound-Vac that is supposed to go with me at all
times & helps drain dampness & fluids out of my foot & toe area. Been on the slut
for about a month & looks like I have a month or so left. Not even supposed to walk
around except for bathroom visits & such. Taking drops for Glaucoma & need to
have done when done with all of the other BS. I do really miss the Buick though &
cry when I think what a fantastic car that really was & I deeply regret letting it go.
Should have sold the Cad-V.

Neal:
toenail infection that turned into a toe infection that turned into a three toe infection
& a left foot infection. I lost 3 toes and a significant portion of my left foot. Am now
times & helps drain dampness & fluids out of my foot & toe area. Been on the slut
for about a month & looks like I have a month or so left. Not even supposed to walk
have done when done with all of the other BS. I do really miss the Buick though &
cry when I think what a fantastic car that really was & I deeply regret letting it go.

Gary,

I didn't know you've been having all these medical problems. That really sucks!!:( I'm glad you're getting the treatment you need for your foot. Last time I saw you at the Bates show you seemed to be in good spirits so this is a bit of a surprise to me. Stay off your feet and do what the Dr. tells you!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :)

Neal

Well,
Today, we managed to completely grenade one engine and hurt a gear box in another car.
The third car is running strong. Looks like tomorrow I'll be taking a Liberty five speed out of a Firebird.
The salt is good and getting better. Tomorrow's another day.

Neal:

Damn Gary! Take care of yourself man.
That's a dangerous situation.

Mike, sounds like a regular day on the flats :eek:

Damn Gary! Take care of yourself man.
That's a dangerous situation.

Mike, sounds like a regular day on the flats :eek:

Rodger that. Just faithfully making our donations to the speed gods.

I 'm sure Mike will update...............
but danny thompson (son of Mickey thompson) went 402 mph in the chassis of his dads 1968 car,
using twin ,injected ,nitro engines, ( not sure on make of engines)
and george poteet went went 410 mph, with ONE turbo SBC,
sounds like the numbers will be good this year,

Yep! We're pitted right across from Danny. I was standing on the line when he ran his first run. It was nice to see him finally get his black hat for setting a record over 400 mph. This record has been 40 years in the making, for those that don't know the history of Micky Thompson and family. We went 300+ in the lakester today. That thing is on a roll. We were next in line and this afternoon with the Fire Bird when we were shut down for high winds. We will be first to run in the AM. It was a long day. Time to grab a beer and some sleep.

Mike B.

man i'd like to go to the salt flats, still trying to work thru these side effects from my treatment dr said stay outta the sun i said crap I'm a vampire now, really after the stuff i been thru. post some pics Mike you know we love visuals.

I'm back.

Lee, for the record, George had a top speed of 442 in the new Speed Demon. Not bad for it's first season on the salt.
Kenny Duttweiler can still build and tune a great engine. We were right next to him getting ready to run. I wanted to ask him if that thing had a Dut-neck intercooler on it. :D Somehow I managed to restrain myself from the question.

I was one of only 50-100 people who saw Danny Thompson put his dads car into the record books after forty years.
The hairs on my neck are standing up just thinking about it.

I had just put my Gopro on our roadster as it left the line. It threw the rods out at about 250 mph.
Count the shifts. Listen for the wheel spin and watch the cloud of oil and water as this BBC grenades.

More pics to follow.:)

Mike B.

Danny's ride. This is the same car that Danny and Mickey tried to set the record with forty years ago. Danny finally made it happen. :)