Garrett GT turbo ?

Mac

Guys,

What is the big advantage with the new Garrett GT turbos? From what I understand the exhaust wheel is lighter which allows for quicker spool up. There is not a whole of information on Garrett's or Precisions's websites. I also searched the net and found very little info.

Here is a picture I took of GT-61 (top) compared to a TE-61 (bottom). The differences are obvious; amount of blades, thickness, slope, etc.
http://www.immautospecialties.com/parts/Images/GT61vsTE61.jpg

The Big Deal is that the Center Section is a Billet Unit, and the Exhaust Wheel is a Stainless Steel Unit. This is what I heard.
They are available from PTE and John Craig. Certain Models Only.
I belive they start at $1,500

Joe

From the club meeting we had a couple months ago at precions facilty this is what i gained. More effecient, less stall converter needed, will make more hp, and the offer it in a true duel ball bearing or standard. Example is if a ta49 makes lets say 400 hp max an equivilent gt turbo might make 450 and need less converter to spool it. From the looks of it i cant wait till someone on the board gets one and tests it out. These wheels are made by garrett and will be put into precisions housings or garretts.Precisions will also offer your existing turbo to be upgraded to gt technology if offered in that size. :D

I just had my motor rebuilt and heard about the turbos from the Chicagoland chapter's November meeting at PTE. I got a Precision 67 which is a new Garrett GT turbo, from Pete Barton at ANS who did the motor for me. I am still breaking the car in so I can't report on the turbo yet but it sure looks huge compared to my old TE34! It still fits under the stock style turbo cover. I should have enough miles in a couple weeks to test it out and I'll report back on the message board then. It's supposed to spool up fast for a large turbo and make more HP at lower boost. It's supposed to support up to 800hp. Paul

I think it is 88mm 54 trim .72 A/R. I have a Precision 9 1/2" lockup converter. Paul

Does anyone know if these GT turbos can be rebuilt? I heard that they are not rebuildable.
Jeff