Gains with powerstroke intercooler

clean86

Got my s/d int last night , nice piece, woundering if anyone has some before and after #'s changing no other parts but the cooler? Also is anyone in areas that are very hoy like here in AZ running into cooling issues . THX Guy's

Guy's, doesn't anyone have any info here? Someone hase to have gone to the track since installing one. I would really like to know everyones opinions on this . THX

I made a Ford I/C fit under the front of my TTA. I had to change the injectors at the same time. And I also went from 2.73 gears back to stock 3.27. The overall gain was 8 tenths and 5 MPH! the whole .8 can't be attributed to the I/C since the gears got it out of the hole so much better. To the tune of a tenth. The injector swap was just to keep up with the extra oxygen the I/C would provide since my 36#ers were already maxed out.
Engine cooling has always been an issue in traffic with the A/C on in the summer being that the car has no grille. As long as I'm moving all is well. The temp starts rising steadilty at rest, though. I still have the original radiator and about 25% coolant so there's plenty of room for improvement in my case. I may even add a fan to the top of the I/C to get some more air cruising through everything. You'll be VERY happy with your new I/C. Just remember to add boost and fuel to all that cool air! It's back to tuning with such a big power part. Good luck!

Thx, great info I am going to mount mine horizontaly with a custom scoop to get fresh air through it and maybe a fan if needed. If for some reason it won't work ,but I think it will, I just got Ramcharger dual fan setup from Nick Micale. That thing installs VERY easy and with the plug and play plug it took 35min tops. Nice piece drove the car around for hours last night, temps stayed 150 all night. Anyone else have any info?

I tried a scoop, but the TTA is just too damn low. It scraped at the end of the track from just getting on the brakes hard! And it was only 3 inches from the bottom of the bumper cover! You Buick guys get all the ground clearance!
Check the new sig out!

Ha your in Tucson!!! You need to get that thing up here! Are you going to Vegas? Do you street race at all? We do a bit of that on a sat from time to time. And it hauls A$$ to, not bad!!

Sorry. I did heads, injectors, chip, cam, and intercooler at the same time.

Whenever I get the combo dialed I'll toss my stock IC back in and see what happens. Can't tell you when that'll be though... maybe not till the spring (not a priority now).

-Banning.

Thanks J , that would be killer!! I am going to get mine in and change the cooler only and see what happens.

OK all Here is what I've come up with as far as trying to horizontaly mount a powerstroke intercooler, It's not going to happen!!! It is far to large, you would have to cut a 1/4 of the thing off and then it would fit very well. I just don't think I am ready to cut a new intercooler up, maybe but we will see. I would front mount it but I think I will run into cooling issues here in AZ. How badly do you all think it will hurt the perf of this cooler to cut a 1/4 off of it? Again if anyone is using this cooler in HOT areas what kind of temps are your cars running AC on in the summer . I need some help here Guy's. THX

My buddy and I were thinking about modifying a PS I/C for his buick since we have one lying around. Haven't actually checked for fit or anything but I figure if I can get one in a TTA I can get one in a Buick. It's handy owning a body shop.
I used to get up to Firebird occasionally and I may again someday. SIR has finally started to get things together a little and I was finding fewer reasons to drive an extra 100 miles to go 2 tenths faster. Now that I've got it so close to the 10s I may want to see if your better elevation can get me there. I ran an 11.19 here so I bet it'd be real close.
I've been meaning to get up there for Pavilions. I never remember when it is until it's happening, then it's too late.
Vegas? YES! Though I have no idea what to expect. A bunch of guys I know with Supras were just there but they are no indication. Those things are about as consistent as lightning. About as fast, too.

I wish I had times with mine but I blew it up before that happened. I did feel a difference over the Spearco FM that was previously on it. The great thing was the cooling was improved so much. On a 100 degree day with the Spearco I was lucky to keep it under 195 in traffic. This was with an upgraded radiator and hotwired stock 87 fan. With the powerstroke intercooler I could turn the fan off as long as I was moving 40mph or above and it would sit ~165-170. It's so big there's no tanks to block the radiator and it's thinner than most ICs so it lets more air through.