Full length oil pan windage tray

turbodave231

Here something I put together to control oil windage in my next engine build.

I cut the original windage tray out. Fabricated supports from 1/8"X " flat stock. Welded 1/4-20 nuts to the supports. Then TIG welded the supports in place. I made a cardboard template for the tray and trial fit everything to a block.

I cut the tray from sheet steel and drilled and louvered the metal. I had everything powder coated inside and out.

IMG_2283.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2289.JPG

If you look at the first picture, there are 6 tabs that are welded to the inside of the pan. The tray bolts to the tabs. The pickup goes into the pan first then the tray is bolted in place. There is enough room to install the pickup to the block and tighten the bolts. I don't think this will work in the chassis.....it might, but would be difficult. I didn't have any trouble assembling it on an engine stand.

Nice. Everytime I build a pan, I try something different for baffling, but have no idea how well one or the other works. I want to see a motor on the dyno with a plexiglass pan on it.

Dave very nice .:cool: How do you control oil moving away from the pick up under hard braking?