Fuel System

pak86gn

Ive been working on my 86 GN for years. No fancy stuff, I'm just trying to get it back to optimum performance. I have a new transmission with shift kit, new brakes front and back, new suspension, front and back, new coil, rebuilt powermaster and used stock turbo. My budget has been limited due to divorce problems and this has taken longer than I wanted. Im still far from my 11-12 sec dream, but it is time to look at the fuel system. Its got vintage fuel lines that need replacement + the venerable stock fuel pump still goes! My question is what kind of options you suggest, ive heard about the walbro pump, and I know I need an adj. press. reg. + a gauge. My stock inj. have been replaced with 30lbs. newer ones. Is there an advantage in getting an out of gas tank pump, or is it better to keep in tank.? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Stock fuel lines are fine to faster than your dreams :) . You can get a Walbro 340 and hotwire from www.racetronix.com for around $150. This pump I read is fine into the 11s, although I am not to that point yet. Not real hard to install either, just email if you need some pointers besides what's on www.gnttype.org.

You can pump the fuel tank dry with a hose on the end of the fuel rail (remove schrader valve and use black fuel hose and small clamp), and grounding the black plug (near the green one) behind the alternator, to the back of the alternator power hookup (at top covered by black plastic cap).

One trick not on gnttype that we used was: Just loosen the front of car tank straps to lower it, and remove the rear of car straps. Better to use two people, and with car on jack stands, lower tank onto a milk crate or something similar in height. The fuel lines under the shield (where it says to remove them) will flex there at the rubber connectors. You can then just remove the fuel pump at the tank since there is rubber lines there also, and much easier to remove than the ones further to the front under that shield. Good luck with the project and the Big D.

You can search on the board or go to gnttype for info on the 12 sec mods. Not as hard to get the mph for 12s, but I think there is more of a learning curve for launching the cars and traction/suspension issues to get the ET.