Fuel pump relay/fuel pump circuit

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
There is a couple of relays next to the map sensor on the passenger side fender. Which one is for the fuel pump? I want to take a fused 30 amp circuit from the battery to a frame mounted relay and use the relay signal wire to control the new relay. What does the second relay do?

There is a couple of relays next to the map sensor on the passenger side fender. Which one is for the fuel pump? I want to take a fused 30 amp circuit from the battery to a frame mounted relay and use the relay signal wire to control the new relay. What does the second relay do?

The fuel pump relay is the one closest to the MAP sensor. See figure below.

Mel

ESClocation.jpg

Looking at the fuel control and injector diagram, the fuel pump relay shows four wires. Dark green/white stripe is the control power from the ecm, with a black and white wire for the ground,pink/black for incoming pump power and gray to the pump itself. Using the above diagrahm, that places my particular relay nearest the ESC module.

Looking at my 87GN and the fuel control and A/C control diagrams, I agree. I got the figure from the factory shop manual and it sure looks like it has the two relays reversed in the figure above. I'm sure its not the first time the documentation is inconsistent with reality.

Standing corrected, Mel

John, I don't have a factory fuel pump circuit. If I were to come off the battery terminal with a fused 30 amp circuit to a remote relay, and trigger that relay with the green/white wire from the relay itself, would that work? Is the oil pressure switch still operational without the use of the factory fp relay? My diagram seems to indicate the switch gets it's power from the fuel pump lead.