fuel pump or ???

blackbox

Well I've been having a problem with my car dying. I was told to check the ign. Module, fuel pump, and crank sensor. A friend let me use some braided line and a fuel pressure gauge. Took the car for a drive yesterday, after about 45 min of driving the car started sputtering then died. I coasted off the road opened the hood and check the fuel pressure gauge which was coiled up. Zero fuel pressure. I then zip tie the gauge on the windshield wiper and sit for about 10 minutes. Car starts up and drives for about ten minutes and I watch the fuel pressure slowly drop to zero and he car sputters and dies. I try to start the car again, turn the key to the on position and nothing. I have all power but the fuel pump won't prime and fuel pressure stays at zero. I wait again for 10 minutes and it primes and starts. Drive for 10 again the same happens. I do this about 4 times until I get to a good location to park it and sit. So I find a place and pull in while the car is dying again. I stop and let it sit for about an hour, turn the key and pump primes fires up. I drive the rest of the way no problem. Does this sound like a bad fuel pump? Seems to not like getting hot. It was about 83 yesterday. Thanks guys just like to be sure before I spend the money on a new pump. Pump is about 3 or 4 years old. What pumps would be recommended for a low 11 second Buick?

When mine did that it was the pump, tank was low on fuel and I believe it overheated. You could fill it up and see if it works better then you'll know its the pump, but you'll have a full tank to contend with before you can pull the pump. I've been using the Walbro 340s, the first one was one of the 'bad ones' I believe. New one from Racetronix seems to be fine so far.

Double and triple check all the wiring for the fuel pump, hotwire kit, and tank connections- sounds like it could be a dirty or loose connection as well. How old is the fuel filter?

My pump is also a 3-4 year old walbro. The filter is due for a change and i will take a look at the wiring this weekend. The tank was on the low side when this happened.

oh when the car was just about to die the whining sound the pump makes would change. Hard to describe the sound that it would make, i guess like a wheezing.

Change the pump. You've spent more than 100 bucks worth of grief already.

And do the filter while your there.

A bad connection happens whether its hot or cold. Pumps heat up and then fail.

This sounds like what mine is doing. I also let the fuel get to low a while back because my gauge is off a little. Think i probably overheated mine. Just gotta find out which pump is gonna be best for me.