fuel pump hum

jlat

hello; I had a Walbro FP installed last yr. I never heard it run till recently. I never heard my stock one and I never hear my recently replaced aftermarket FP in my van. Are Walbro's more prone to noise? I always thought when the pump started making noise it was on it's way out.
IBBY

That's one thing I noticed immediately after I changed my stocker out for the Walbro 340, that thing is audible. Louder on the prime prior to starting the engine, it has a humming/ringing sound to it at idle as well.

I noticed mine last night . I think it is based upon how much fuel is in the tank . I dont hear it until below a quarter

Always keep at least 1/4 tank or more in there for a few reasons....keeps the pump cooler...you won't hear the pump as much....pump won't have to work as hard...pump life will be greater...

I noticed mine too -was a little worried at first, but after poking around with the search it appears to be common.

It is a common characteristic for the Walbro pumps to have a loud whirring sound.
Like Roger mentioned my Supra Denso pump going on 3 years is ultra quiet.

hello; Tell more about that Supra FP. Is it about the same as a Walbro?
IBBY

Not the same as the Walbro. It requires some modifications to work right.
But well worth it.

Not the same as the Walbro. It requires some modifications to work right.
But well worth it.

hello; Tell me more on what you have to do to install the Supra pump.
I see there's a harness you can buy to make it easier but does it take moding the tank mounting?
IBBY

The Walbro pumps are louder than most pumps. The new DW pump is very quiet and installs fairly easy. I had to cut about 1/3 of the lower support ring to clear the supplied sock. Make sure you use a long enough hose to push the pump into the support ring and use a zip tie to hold it from sliding down causing the hose to slip off. (ask me how I know that):mad: